This oven baked buttermilk chicken & gravy recipe requires just 4 ingredients and bakes in about an hour. A delicious baked chicken recipe the whole family will enjoy!
Oven Baked Buttermilk Chicken
Growing up, my mom served this oven baked buttermilk chicken recipe, and it’s always been one of my favorite dishes. There’s a comfort to eating this simple chicken dish and it’s a pleasure to made this homemade buttermilk chicken for my own family.
My easy buttermilk chicken is really easy to make and once the chicken has it’s coating, it is really just a matter of turning the chicken a few times as it bakes, so that it cooks evenly throughout.
Once you add the gravy (which incidentally is really delicious), be sure not to pour it on top of the chicken! Instead pour it around the sides of the pan, that way you ensure a crispy buttermilk chicken coating on top!
What does soaking chicken in buttermilk do?
By soaking the chicken breast in buttermilk you add both flavor and moisture to the dish. The buttermilk keeps the chicken breast moist and stops it from drying out in the oven.
Is buttermilk good for tenderizing chicken?
The high acidity in buttermilk helps to tenderize any meat it comes into contact with. It’s great for marinating chicken in, whether you are using chicken breasts like I am here, or for marinating a whole chicken. You can leave chicken soaking in buttermilk to tenderize for anything up to 24 hours.
How to make my Homemade Oven Baked Buttermilk Chicken recipe:
The first step is to preheat the oven to 400F degrees and look out all ingredients ready to start.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
Next, mix together some of the buttermilk and cream of chicken soup.
NOTE: The recipe calls for 1 cup and 1 can but my family prefers MORE gravy. So, what you see in the pictures is actually 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup. Now place in the fridge until ready to use it.
Next, pour some buttermilk in a bowl and season to taste some salt and pepper.
Spread out some waxed paper and put some flour on it to coat the chicken with.
Dip the chicken in the buttermilk bowl and coat both sides well, then move it to the waxed paper and coat both sides with flour.
Pour the melted butter into a 9×13-inch pan.
Place the chicken breast side DOWN in the pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and flip the chicken over so it is breast side UP. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Now remove the pan and get the buttermilk/cream of chicken soup mixture out of the fridge and pour it all around the chicken. Take care not to pour it over the top of the chicken as you want to keep the chicken crispy.
Return the pan to the oven for 30 minutes. Then remove from the oven and make sure the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
If yes, you are done and ready to serve!
Recipe ingredients & variations:
- CHICKEN: I have used skinless and boneless chicken breasts, but you could use any cut of chicken in this easy buttermilk chicken bake. Chicken tenders or thighs would also work, just ensure you adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- BUTTER: is used to cook the coated chicken breasts giving them a crispy coating. You can substitute the butter with a little light cooking oil if you prefer.
- BUTTERMILK: both coats the chicken and flavors the gravy. Buttermilk has a lovely creamy, buttery taste, which not only flavors the chicken and gravy, but also adds moisture to the chicken.
- CANNED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: is combined with the buttermilk to give a great tasting gravy that you can serve alongside the crispy buttermilk chicken.
- This recipe is ideal if you are feeding a crowd as it can be easily doubled or trebled to accommodate numbers.
- Take your time when pouring the gravy around the chicken as you don’t want it covering the crispy chicken.
- Don’t be tempted to cover the dish when the chicken is cooking in the oven. This will have the effect of steaming the chicken and you won’t get that lovely crispy coating.
- Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm every through to piping hot before serving.
My homemade oven baked buttermilk chicken and gravy is a dish that is packed full of flavor. For that reason I like to keep any sides on the simple side.
I usually serve this easy chicken dish with my Roasted Green Beans, some creamy Mashed Potatoes (use the rest of the buttermilk if you have any leftover, it’s makes great tasting mash), and my Sprite Biscuits.
Can I make Easy Oven Baked Buttermilk Chicken ahead of time?
We all have those days when we want to get ahead. What I recommend doing is preparing and cooking the buttermilk chicken, then setting it aside to cool down before placing in the fridge. I also prepare the chicken soup and buttermilk gravy and place it in the refrigerator until I’m ready to finish the dish.
When you are ready to cook and enjoy, simply pour the gravy around the chicken pieces and place the pan in the oven so that everything warms through to piping hot. Once hot serve immediately.
Can I freeze Oven Baked Buttermilk Chicken?
If you have any leftovers (I never do) you can store them in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Simply defrost thoroughly before placing in a hot oven to warm through to hot, before serving.
Don’t miss these additional delicious Chicken Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Parmesan Crescent Rolls
- Loaded Roasted Potatoes and Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Mexican Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken
- Beer Can Chicken
- Healthy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Skillet Chicken
- Mediterranean Skillet Chicken
- Skillet Honey Chicken
- 1 stick butter melted
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (One per person)
- 1 cup buttermilk for gravy additional for dipping
- 1 can cream of chicken soup for gravy - see my note about doubling gravy
- Flour for coating chicken
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Melt your butter - I use a small saucepan on the stovetop, pour into 9x13 pan
- Mix buttermilk and cream of chicken soup in a small bowl, and place in fridge
- Pour some buttermilk in a bowl, and dip chicken in it, fully covering
- Dip chicken in flour, fully coating
- Place chicken breast side down in buttered 9x13 pan
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Turn chicken over
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove Buttermilk and Cream of Chicken mix from fridge and pour around chicken
- Bake for 30 minutes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics 6-Piece White Dinner Plate Set
Campbell's 10 Piece Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, 6 Pound
CanCooker Collapsible Batter Bowl | Mess Free Breading Shaker Container & Batter Mixer | Perfect for Fish Frying, Fried Chicken, Onion Rings, Wings & More
OXO Good Grips Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish with Lid
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 736mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g