Mexican Chicken is a family favorite, and we rarely have leftovers!
Mexican Chicken Recipe
Mexican Chicken is a Family Favorite, and we RARELY have leftovers!
In fact, now that my boys are all in or approaching the teenage years, I now have to DOUBLE this recipe, using a 9×13 size pan.
I can only imagine it’ll get worse the older they get!
I have also heard this recipe (or variations of it) referred to as Doritos Chicken or Rotel Chicken.
My mom started making this for us when I was very young.
To begin, gather all of your ingredients.
Next, Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Layer Doritos in the bottom of the pan.
Layer Shredded Chicken on top of Doritos.
Next, mix together the soups, spices, seasonings, and onions.
For the onions, just chop one up, saute it until it’s clear, and add to the mixture.
My crew enjoys this with chopped jalapenos added.
Pour the mixture over the chicken.
Bake for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Serve, and enjoy!
They also enjoy it if I use Ground Beef instead of Chicken.
- 1 Bag Doritos
- 3 Cooked Chicken Breasts shredded - I cook mine in my slow cooker all day so it's ready at meal time
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can Rotel
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese Colby tastes best, but if I can get a Cheddar/Colby Mix or even just Cheddar on sale, I use that!
- Spray 9x13 pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray (I use Pam)
- Pour a layer of Doritos on the bottom - use your discretion how much your family likes - mine wants the whole bag, LOL
- Place the shredded chicken on top
- Mix the Soups, Rotel, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Chicken Broth (I use what's in the slow cooker)
- Pour the soups over the chicken & chips
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes
- Take it out, layer the shredded cheese on top, and return to the oven for 5 minutes
- Serve it up and Enjoy!
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Mexican Chicken Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchCuisinart CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater365 Ways to Cook Chicken: Simply the Best Chicken Recipes You’ll Find Anywhere!Betty Crocker The Big Book of Chicken (Betty Crocker Big Book)Easy Mexican Food Favorites: A Mexican Cookbook for Taqueria-Style Home CookingThe Enchilada Queen Cookbook: Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tamales, and More Classic Recipes from Texas-Mexico Border Kitchens
Don’t miss these other delicious Mexican Recipes from When Is Dinner:
- Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Taco Pasta Bake
- Sopapilla Cheesecake
- Beef & Bean Burritos
- Baked Tacos
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Fajita Pasta