Mexican Chicken is a family favorite, and we rarely have leftovers!
Mexican Chicken Recipe
Mexican Chicken is a Family Favorite, and we RARELY have leftovers! In fact, now that my boys are all in or approaching the teenage years, I now have to DOUBLE this recipe, using a 9×13 size pan. I can only imagine it’ll get worse the older they get 😀
I have also heard this recipe (or variations of it) referred to as Doritos Chicken or Rotel Chicken. My mom started making this for us when I was very young. I have always picked out the onions (I never liked them, and now am allergic to them – my lips and tongue swell up). When I was old enough to make it myself, I just started leaving them out 🙂 If you like onions, just chop one up, saute it until it’s clear, and add to the mixture.
- 1 Bag Doritos
- 3 Cooked Chicken Breasts shredded - I cook mine in my slow cooker all day so it's ready at meal time
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can Rotel
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese Colby tastes best, but if I can get a Cheddar/Colby Mix or even just Cheddar on sale, I use that!
- Spray 9x13 pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray (I use Pam)
- Pour a layer of Doritos on the bottom - use your discretion how much your family likes - mine wants the whole bag, LOL
- Place the shredded chicken on top
- Mix the Soups, Rotel, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Chicken Broth (I use what's in the slow cooker)
- Pour the soups over the chicken & chips
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes
- Take it out, layer the shredded cheese on top, and return to the oven for 5 minutes
- Serve it up and Enjoy!
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Mexican Chicken Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchCuisinart CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater365 Ways to Cook Chicken: Simply the Best Chicken Recipes You’ll Find Anywhere!Betty Crocker The Big Book of Chicken (Betty Crocker Big Book)Easy Mexican Food Favorites: A Mexican Cookbook for Taqueria-Style Home CookingThe Enchilada Queen Cookbook: Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tamales, and More Classic Recipes from Texas-Mexico Border Kitchens