Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
I’ve been experimenting with a few Chicken Enchilada Recipes, trying to find one that we really love. We’ve found a couple that are candidates to be added into my Google Calendar Menu Plan Rotation, so I thought I’d share one of them with you.
The first time I made this, all the guys declared that it NEEDS MORE CHEESE. The picture above is the second time I made it, where I drowned it in cheese on top. This made for some very happy boys!
This Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe is very quick and easy to make, ready in under 45 minutes! It’s a hearty and filling dish that anyone can perfect!
Here are some tips you might find helpful 🙂
- I am allergic to onions. When I make this, I mix the chicken and cheese, fill my tortillas, wrap them, and place them in their own separate pan. Next, I add the onions and jalapenos to the chicken and cheese mix, for everyone else.
- Feel free to cut the amount of cheese in half, they were fine when I made them that way the 1st time. All three of my boys are on the small side, 2 require an extra high calorie count per a nutritionist, so I add in calories to their food whenever possible. They LOVE CHEESE.
- The chicken is cooked, and the gravy is hot. When you put it in the oven, you’re basically just heating the tortillas and melting the cheese. Just cook them until they’re heated through.
- When cooking the chicken, you can do that however you want. I love using a Rotisserie, but I tend to have frozen breasts in my freezer. It’s quick and easy for me to pop them in my crock pot with some chicken broth and spices and leave it cooking all day. Use whatever seasoning or spices you want. Some suggestions: garlic powder, chicken bouillon cube, ground cumin, poultry seasoning, black pepper, thyme, sage, rosemary, etc. If you have an Instant Pot, try this recipe for Instant Pot Poached Chicken!
- I have not tried freezing these, but they should freeze well -maybe not the gravy with the sour cream- but the actual enchiladas should do ok. I have to pack our lunches for the next day before I serve this or my kids wouldn’t leave us anything to eat the next day, so we don’t ever have any left for me to try and freeze!
Here are some other great Mexican Recipes I hope you’ll try!
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 Chicken Breasts Cooked and Shredded
- 10 to rtillas - I used flour but imagine corn might work well too
- 4 cups shredded cheese - 1st attempt used 2 doubled for 2nd attempted pictured above
- 1 medium onion diced - optional
- 1 jalapeno diced - optional, feel free to use more/less
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 6 tbsp butter divided -into 2 and 4
- 4 tbsp flour all purpose
- 1 cup sour cream
- I cook my chicken in the slow cooker all day, with about a cup of chicken broth added, then shred it when I'm ready to prepare our Enchiladas. A rotisserie chicken would also work well for this.
- *BONUS: Cook enough chicken for 2 meals and prepare an extra meal to freeze, or save for the next night!
- Take 2 tbsp of the butter, and melt it in a hot frying pan. Saute your diced onions and jalapeno until clear and soft
- Mix chicken and 2 cups cheese in a medium bowl, add onions and jalapenos if using, mix well
- Divide chicken and cheese mixture evenly among tortillas (a cutting board or cookie sheet works well to spread them out)
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour, on Medium Heat to make a Roux. Let it cook for about a minute, then pour in the Chicken Broth and use a whisk until the flour is smooth.
- Leave it on the heat until its thick and bubbly, then add the sour cream.
- Pour the gravy over the enchiladas, then sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through.
These are some items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Mission White Corn Tortillas (4.16 lb., 80 ct.)Farberware Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Aluminum 6-Quart Covered Jumbo Cooker with Helper Handle, AquaOXO Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown HandlesGorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)Utopia Kitchen 2 Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Glass Lid – Induction Bottom – Multipurpose Use for Home Kitchen or RestaurantPyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchThe Enchilada Queen Cookbook: Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tamales, and More Classic Recipes from Texas-Mexico Border KitchensThe Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites: A CookbookThe Easy 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: 100 Delicious No-Fuss Meals for Busy People