My Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken breast is a delicious family favorite dinner. The chicken breast is seasoned and stuffed with broccoli, red bell pepper and cheese before being seared in a skillet and finished off in a hot oven.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
My Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast is seared in a cast skillet then roasted in the oven. This dish is super flavorful and one the whole family will enjoy and keep coming back to.
Hands on prep time for this Keto Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken is minimal, only 10 minutes. Then a quick cook in the oven and the dish is done.
We love to eat chicken in our home, and I typically serve it 3-4 times each week. Eating this protein so frequently, it’s important that I have an arsenal of chicken recipes in my meal plan rotation as my crew likes variety.
One favorite is this Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken dish. It’s a low carb dish that packs a real flavor punch.
How do you stuff a chicken breast?
I start by placing the chicken breast onto a cutting board and flatten the top with a spatula to keep it steady. Then insert a sharp kitchen knife into the thickest side of the chicken. Cut a pocket in the chicken, taking care not to cut the whole way through to the other side.
Cut down the length of the chicken breast, again stopping before the end of the chicken. You want to create a pocket and not a flap. Now the chicken is ready for stuffing.
How to make Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl add the onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle this seasoning onto both sides of the chicken.
- Now place the seasoned chicken breast onto a cutting board and make a pocket in the chicken (see instructions above).
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the broccoli and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and drain away any excess water.
- Add the diced red bell pepper, cheese, mayo and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder to the bowl with the broccoli.
- Stir everything together to combine.
- Stuff the pockets of each chicken breast with the broccoli mixture.
- Add the avocado oil to a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- After the pan is heated through, add the chicken breasts – top side down.
- Allow the chicken to cook for 4-5 minutes on each side to until brown.
- Place the pan into the hot oven to continue cooking the chicken for an additional 12-15 minutes or until chicken cooks through and juices run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken recipe ingredients:
- CHICKEN: I use 3 large chicken breasts for this recipe so that you can cut a pocket.
- SEASONING: I use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Himalayan pink sea salt and black pepper to season the chicken. This seasoning blend is really adaptable so if there is any flavor you don’t like leave it out.
- BROCCOLI: I use a cup of chopped broccoli florets, you could also use broccolini.
- RED PEPPER: I add ½ cup of finely chopped red pepper to the broccoli. You could use any other color of pepper or add in other veggies you enjoy eating (see recipe variations below).
- CHEESE: I add 1 cup of shredded colby jack cheese to the broccoli. You could also use shredded Monterey Jack, cheddar, mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
- MAYONNAISE: 1 tablespoon mayonnaise forms the cheese sauce. You could swap the mayo for sour cream or Greek yogurt which would work too.
- OIL: I use 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to sear the chicken breasts before placing in the oven. You can use any other variety of light flavored oil.
Recipe flavor variations:
This recipe is really versatile and can be easily adapted to suit other flavors and ingredients. Here are some ideas:
- PROTEIN: this recipe could also work with some turkey breast fillets or some thick cut pork loin chops, just so long as there’s room to create that all important pocket for the broccoli cheese stuffing.
- VEGETABLES: vary the veggies, swap the broccoli for cauliflower or green beans. Why not add some sliced mushroom, diced zucchini, asparagus or wilted spinach.
- SPICES: vary the spices, add some Cajun seasoning; red chili flakes; or ground cumin or coriander.
- HERBS: stir through some fresh or dried herbs: basil, cilantro, parley and oregano would all work.
I like to serve this delicious stuffed chicken dish with my fresh tasting Apple Pear Spring Salad Mix or keep things really simple with a dressed green salad. Both great low carb options.
For those not watch their carb intake, I also like to serve some crusty bread alongside, or how about my tasty Bacon Cheddar Ranch Potato Salad.
How to store leftover Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken;
Leftover chicken breasts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to heat up place the chicken into an oven proof dish and place into a hot oven to warm through. Take care to cook only until hot, as you don’t want the chicken to overcook and become dry.
Once cooked, the chicken can also be cooled, placed in an airtight container and frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, defrost thoroughly in the refrigerator and then heat up in a warm oven until piping hot.
Recipe hints & tips:
- I like to use a kitchen probe thermometer to check when meat is cooked. For chicken you are looking for an internal temperature of 165F. However, if you don’t have a thermometer don’t worry. Instead insert a knife into the thickest part of the chicken breast and just check that the juices run clear.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or even tripled up if you are feeding a crowd.
Don’t miss these and many other delicious Chicken Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Crispy Parmesan Chicken
- Green Chili Chicken Bake
- Easy Chicken Alfredo
- Cheesy Chicken
- Mexican Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Baked Chicken
- Buttermilk Chicken
- Instant Pot Poached Chicken
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon himalayan pink sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets finely chopped
- ½ cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 49g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Broccoli CHeese Stuffed Chicken recipe in my own kitchen:
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting BoardVictorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch Chef’s FFPPyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)OXO SteeL Lasagna TurnerEasy Chicken Breast Cookbook: 50 Unique and Easy Chicken Breast Recipes101 Quick & Easy Chicken RecipesBetty Crocker The Big Book of Chicken (Betty Crocker Big Book)Chicken Recipes: Delicious and Easy Chicken Recipes (Baked Chicken, Grilled Chicken, Fried Chicken, and MORE!) (Quick and Easy Cooking Series)
Thursday 1st of August 2019
Omg this looks so good!!! I’m going to have to try this for sure
Thursday 1st of August 2019
That looks delicious! I'm gonna have to try this one!