This Cheesy Chicken Crescent Roll Recipe is quick and easy to make. Using only 5 ingredients this easy chicken dish is ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes. Now that’s a winning dinner dish for me any night of the week. I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine do!
Cheesy Chicken Crescent Rolls
This recipe for Cheesy Chicken is a family favorite. In fact, now that my boys are teenagers, they eat more than I ever imagined possible. Just as well this recipe is so easy to double or triple up!
One of these rolls, with a couple of vegetable sides, is enough for Nick and me for dinner. But if we want one for lunch the next day, I have to put them in a container BEFORE I serve the kids!
These Cheesy Chicken Breasts combine shredded chicken breast with cheddar cheese, milk and a can of chicken soup, all bound together in ready roll crescent roll pastry. It could not be any easier.
This Easy Cheesy Chicken Dish takes only 5 minutes to prepare and around 20 minutes in the oven. Any dish that can be on the table in less than 30 minutes is a winner for me any night of the week!
How to make Cheesy Chicken Crescent Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees and spray a 9×13-inch pan with Pam.
- Lay out crescent rolls in 4 sections on waxed paper. (Keep the triangles together to form a rectangle). Use a small rolling pin if needed to close the seam.
- Put the shredded chicken and cheese onto the crescent rolls and roll them up (into a shape like a short burrito).
- Mix the cream of chicken soup and milk together in a small pan and heat on the stove-top until fairly smooth (add any leftover chicken or cheese to this).
- Pour this cheesy gravy between the crescent rolls in the pan.
- TOP TIP – Take care to pour around the crescent rolls and not on top, otherwise they will be mushy!
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crescent rolls are cooked through and brown on top.
Cheesy Chicken ingredients:
- CHICKEN BREASTS: I use cooked and shredded chicken breasts in this recipe. It’s also a great recipe for using up leftover roast chicken too. A great time saving tip is to use store bought rotisserie chicken.
- CHEESE: sharp cheddar cheese is what I normally use, but add any flavor or strength of cheese that your family enjoy eating. My kids also enjoy when I mix some cream cheese in too. You can use a flavored cream cheese if you like.
- CRESCENT ROLLS: use a pack of ready-rolled crescent roll pastry which you can pick up in the chilled section of most stores.
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: you can easily interchange the cream of chicken soup using what you have in your store. I’ve made this recipe with Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery and Cream of Broccoli. So use whichever flavor soup your family prefers.
- MILK: I have used milk this time around, however you can also you buttermilk in this dish too.
Additional flavor variations:
You can get really creative and add in any other flavors that your family enjoy. I vary this dish according to what I have on hand. Here are some suggestions for ingredients I have added over the years:
- sauteed onions
- green onions
- bell peppers
- minced garlic
- freshly chopped herbs
- leftover roast ham
- crispy bacon
What kind of cheese goes with chicken?
Chicken and cheese work well together and the type of cheese you use depends on the dish you are preparing. For this dish I used a sharp cheddar cheese as I wanted a strong flavor of cheese. You could also use Parmesan cheese, gruyere or
However, milder cheeses, like mild cheddar, mozzarella and cream cheese also work with chicken. The best cheese to use is entirely down to the dish you are preparing and your own personal tastes.
Cheesy Chicken is such a rich and filling dish that I like to add one of two vegetable based side dishes or salads. Here are some veggie side dish options for you to try: my Sheet Pan Garlic Potatoes & Green Beans, Sheet Pan Roasted Broccoli, or my Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Bacon.
How to store leftover Cheese Chicken Crescent Rolls:
There are rarely any leftovers when I make this dish at home. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. When ready to enjoy pop the crescent roll back into a hot oven to warm through.
- This recipe is easily doubled up to feed a crowd. In fact I usually treble the recipe when feeding my hungry family of teenage boys.
- If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, I recommend heating the extra gravy on the stovetop or in an additional pan in the oven. Too much gravy in the main pan with the crescent rolls, will cause the crescent rolls to become soggy. If the crescent rolls become soggy the pastry may not cook all the way through.
- If I’m cooking for a crowd, I’ll buy the Crescent Rolls in bulk from Sam’s Club and prepare them all on a Cookie Sheet and warm the gravy in a saucepan. When it’s time to serve, I just slice the Crescent Rolls open and spoon some gravy down the middle.
Don’t miss these other delicious WHEN IS DINNER Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Tenderloins and Garlic Pasta
- Mexican Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Baked Chicken
- Loaded Roasted Chicken & Potatoes
- Buttermilk Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 8 ct crescent rolls
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 c milk or buttermilk
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• Spray 9x13 pan with Pam.
• Lay out crescent rolls in 4 sections on waxed paper. (Keep the triangles together to form a rectangle). Use a small rolling pin if needed to close the seam.
• Put shredded chicken and cheese on rolls and roll them up (like a short burrito).
• Mix cream of chicken soup and milk heat on the stovetop in a small pan until fairly smooth. (add any leftover chicken or cheese to this).
• Pour between crescent rolls in pan. (Be careful to pour around, not on top or they will be mushy!).
• Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crescent rolls are cooked through and brown on top.
Can easily be doubled or tripled. You can heat extra gravy in a saucepan on the stove or a separate pan in the oven. If you add too much gravy to the main pan, the rolls will be soggy and may not cook through.
Serving Size:1 Chicken Roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 657Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 1325mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 42g
These are some items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Cheesy Chicken Crescent Roll Recipe in my own home:
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchCounter Art 74264 Flexible Cutting Mat, ClearUtopia Kitchen Nonstick Saucepan Set – 1 Quart and 2 Quart – Glass Lid – Multipurpose Use for Home Kitchen or RestaurantAmazonBasics 8-Piece Non-Stick Kitchen Cookware Set, Pots and PansAmazonBasics 18-Piece White Kitchen Dinnerware Set, Dishes, Bowls, Service for 6Gibson Elite Couture Bands 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, Blue