This Easy Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe is very simple to make, and requires just 6 ingredients! This simple steak dish requires very little hands on preparation, it’s more of an assembly job and then the Crock Pot does all the hard work.
Easy Crock Pot Round Steak
This Easy Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe was created after many readers tried and loved my Oven Baked Round Steak Recipe. I wanted to find a way of cooking the recipe in my Crock Pot, making it even easier.
You can make this recipe with these new, adjusted ingredients – based on my Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast. Alternatively use the same ingredients I used in the oven baked version. Use whichever ingredients suit your own tastes.
There is very little preparation required it is more of an assembly job. Then it’s left to the Crock Pot to do all the hard work while you get on with your day.
I’ve also just recently published an Easy Instant Pot Round Steak Recipe! If you enjoy the Mississippi Style Recipes, I also have a Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Recipe!
How to cook round steak to make it tender:
The thing about Round Steak is that it’s a lean, tougher cut of beef, so it needs to cook low and slow to tenderize, allowing the flavors time to develop. Many people seem to be intimidated, but it’s such a tasty cut of beef that I encourage you to give it a try!
Round Steak is also one of the less expensive cuts of meat at the supermarket, so it’s very budget friendly.
We’ve lived in many parts of the country over the 23 years we’ve been married, and one thing I’ve noticed is the there is a difference in the size of the cuts, in various markets.
How long to cook round steak:
- If your cut is THIN, you may need to cook for a shorter amount of time, say 4 hours, or it can get tough – like jerky.
- If your cut is THICK, you may need to cook for a longer amount of time, say 6 or even 8 hours, otherwise it may not be cooked through and tender.
When cooked for the right amount of time, it’s so tender and flavorful, you can cut it EASILY with a fork. Crock Pot times and oven times can also vary, depending on make, model, size, altitude, etc.
How to make Easy Crock Pot Round Steak:
- To begin, place your round steak in the bottom of your Crock Pot.
- Next, top the beef with your cans of Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Now add the Brown Gravy Seasoning and Dry Ranch Seasoning.
- Finally add 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of water.
- Place the lid on the pot, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, allowing the Crock Pot to work it’s magic!
Crock Pot Round Steak ingredients & flavor variations:
- ROUND STEAK: is a great budget friendly cut of beef that is ideal for slow cooking. You could also use chuck, blade, topside, silverside or brisket as these cuts of beef all benefit from being cooked low and slow. Adjust the cooking times depending on the cut of beef.
- CANNED SOUP: I use a can of Cream of Chicken soup and a can of Cream of Mushroom to cook the beef as they make a great tasting gravy base. You could also use Cream of Celery soup, use what you have in your store.
- BROWN GRAVY MIX: use any pack of gravy mix, I like to buy the McCormicks brand in bulk as it works out a lot cheaper.
- DRY RANCH DRESSING MIX: use any pack of dry ranch seasoning mix, I like Hidden Valley brand which I buy in larger tubs making it more cost effective.
- BUTTER: you can use salted or unsalted butter.
Additional ingredients you may want to add:
This recipe is easily adapted to if you wish to add other ingredients to this easy round steak recipe. Here are some suggestions of what I have added when I make this dish:
- green beans
- 2 whole Anaheim peppers (add for cooking then remove before serving, they add a slight kick to the gravy!)
This rich beef stew has a great tasting gravy. Sometimes I add in all the extra veggies and cook them with the beef (see list of suggestions above).
However, if I’m just cooking the beef, I like to serve it with a couple of vegetable side dishes. Some potatoes and a couple of steamed veggies like carrots, broccoli or green beans are ideal.
- I suggest PRINTING out a copy of the recipe before you start. This will allow you to make notes of any changes that you would like to make in the future. This is the best way of tailoring recipes to suit your family’s taste preferences and what works best with the your appliances.
- I make this Easy Crock Pot Round Steak recipe at least once a month. It’s less expensive to purchase the Ranch Seasoning and Brown Gravy in bulk from my local Sam’s Club. Individual packets cost $1 at my local Super Center and only have around 3 tablespoons in them. This is not ideal as you may want to add more/less depending on the thickness of gravy you desire. I find bulk buying the most cost effective for my budget.
Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix, 16 Oz (Pack Of 2)McCormick, Brown Gravy Mix, 21oz Container (Pack of 2)
Don’t miss these additional Crock Pot recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Dutch Oven Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo
Easy Crock Pot Round Steak
This Easy Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe is very simple to make, and requires just 6 ingredients!
- 2 lbs Round Steak
- 1 can Cream of Chicken
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom
- 1 package Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 package Dry Ranch Seasoning
- 1 stick butter
- 1 can water
- Place round steak in the crock pot.
- Top with 1 can Cream of Chicken, 1 can Cream of Mushroom, 1 packet Brown Gravy Mix, 1 packet Ranch Seasoning, stick of butter, and 1 can of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 181mgSodium: 1463mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 50g
These are a few of the items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Easy Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Reynolds Kitchens Premium Slow Cooker Liners – 13 x 21 Inch, 6 CountCrock-Pot Lunch Crock Food Warmer, BlueCrock-Pot Recipe CollectionThe Easy 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: 100 Delicious No-Fuss Meals for Busy PeopleSlow Cooker Favorites Beef: 150+ Easy, Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes, from Meatloaf and Pot Roast to Beef StroganoffCrockpot Recipes: 125 World Class Slow Cooker Recipes (World Class Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipes Healthy Meal Cookbook)Crock Pot Cookbook: A Complete Guide Of Slow Cooker For The Busy and Lazy Man With 70+ Delicious and Time-Saving Recipes( Free Bonus: 4-Week Healthy Meal Plan) (Cooking)
Wednesday 8th of March 2023
So can I put halved potatoes and carrots in with the meat and let it cook all day?
Thursday 2nd of February 2023
Sounds really, really delicious!
Sunday 11th of December 2022
I don’t have dried ranch seasoning could I use Italian ? Or neither?
Monday 12th of December 2022
I've never tried that, but it should work! I know others have used bottled ranch dressing and say it works also, I've just never tried it myself :) Thanks for visiting!!!
Thursday 27th of January 2022
Am curious on the reason for the use of butter? Thx
Monday 26th of September 2022
The butter provides the liquid to help the dry seasonings create a delicious gravy. Beef stock and some of the vinegary liquid of the peppers can replace the butter. Many on the keto diet are looking for the fats the butter provides.
Friday 7th of January 2022
Could I cook it on high for 3-4 hours?
Friday 7th of January 2022
It would probably cook through, yes. I've never tried it though, so I'm not sure if it would be as tender as cooking it on the lower temp for a longer time.