My Easy Instant Pot Roast Beef is a great tasting dish that can be prepared, cooked and on the table in just over an hour. All the flavor of a slow cooked pot roast beef, but without the lengthy cook. Add carrots and potatoes to the Instant Pot for a quick and easy one pot dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Instant Pot Roast Beef
We love a home cooked Beef Pot Roast in our home, and I’ve typically prepared it in the oven or slow cooker. However, sometimes I don’t have time in the morning to get it in the Crockpot, or I’m not home in time to prepare it for the oven.
That’s when I make this Best Ever Instant Pot Roast Beef and Vegetables, all the flavor with less cooking time. Cooking Roast Beef in the Pressure Cooker could not be any easier.
Using my new Instant Pot, I can get it ready in about an hour, which is a huge time saver for me! This makes it possible to enjoy this great tasting Instant Pot Roast Beef any night of the week.
This recipe requires the basic ingredients that you would normally expect in a pot roast. However, you can also add, swap, or remove ingredients based on your personal preferences. Make the dish your own!
What is the difference between pot roasting and roasting?
Roast beef is cooked in the oven without any liquid added, it is cooked dry. Whereas a Pot Roast is a braising method where the beef is cooked in liquid, for example water, broth or wine.
What cut do you make pot roast beef with?
Pot roasts are traditionally made with slow braising cuts like chuck, brisket or round roast. These cuts are really flavorful and are a lot cheaper than a traditional roasting joint.
These joints work well as the slower braising time allows the fat and connective tissue in the beef to break down and become tender.
For this recipe post we speed up the cooking time by using the pressure function of the Instant Pot. However, the results are the same – deliciously moist and flavorful meat.
How to cook Instant Pot Pot Roast:
- Place the butter and oil in your instant pot and set to Saute setting.
- Season the roasting joint with salt and pepper.
- When the butter is melted, add the roast and sear on each side until well browned, about 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the roast from instant pot and set aside.
- Add in the onions, cook while stirring occasionally for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Now add the garlic and cook for 1 further minute before turning off Saute setting.
- Place the roast back into the Instant Pot and pour in the beef broth.
- Secure the lid and select Manual and cook the joint for 50 minutes.
- Use natural or quick release, then add the carrots and potatoes to the pot.
- Place the lid back on and cook on Manual for 10 additional minutes.
Instant Pot Roast Beef ingredients & substitutions:
- OIL: I use a combination of butter for flavor, along with some oil to stop the butter from burning when I saute the beef. You can use any type of oil, I usually opt for a flavorless oil.
- BEEF: I use a 3-5 lb beef roast joint, something like chuck, round roast or brisket (see above for guidance). The cut you select is entirely down to personal preference.
- ONION & GARLIC: add great flavor to the dish and are cooked along with the beef for maximizing flavor.
- LIQUID: I use 1 cup of beef broth to braise the beef. You could use water or add a splash of wine too.
- VEGGIES: I add carrots and potatoes towards the end of the cook so this becomes a meal in one. You can add in any veggies that you enjoy eating, for example mushrooms or bell peppers. You can replace the potatoes with cauliflower if following a low-carb diet.
Why is my roast tough in Instant Pot?
If your pot roast is still tough after cooking, you just need to cook it a little longer as the joint just needs a little longer to braise so that the connective tissue in the beef breaks down properly.
Return the roast to the Instant Pot and cook for another 15 minutes and check again.
How much liquid do you put in an Instant Pot for a roast?
If you are roasting beef in a regular oven you don’t need liquid. However, when pot roasting in the Instant Pot you need to add liquid so that there is enough pressure in the Instant Pot. I add one cup of beef broth when making my Instant Pot Roast Beef.
This delicious pot roast recipe is an entire meal in one as the beef is roasted with potatoes and carrots. At most I would serve this with as side of green veggies like my Roasted Green Beans.
Alternatively leave the potatoes out and add some mushrooms or cauliflower instead. Then serve everything with some creamy mashed potatoes alongside.
How to store leftover Pot Roast Beef:
Leftovers can be safely stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until piping hot.
Recipe hints & tips:
- Take time to properly season the joint of beef before sauteing in the Instant Pot. This will make all the difference to the flavor of the finished dish.
Try these other delicious Instant Pot Recipes here at When is Dinner:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 3-5 lb beef roast (personal preference)
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped (omit or replace with cauliflower if low-carb)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2723Total Fat: 170gSaturated Fat: 67gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 81gCholesterol: 1028mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 259g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Instant Pot Roast in my own kitchen:
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and WarmerOXO Good Grips Utility Cutting BoardJ.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef’s Knife, 8 Inch, BlackEmile Henry Made In France Lasagna/Roasting Dish 16.75OXO Good Grips Prep Y-PeelerThe Pioneer Woman Vintage Floral 12-Piece Dinnerware Set