My Easy Beef Pot Roast Recipe is simple and easy to prepare using a few basic ingredients slow cooked to perfection. Just like Grandma used to make!
Easy Beef Pot Roast
My Easy Beef Pot Roast Recipe is a cinch to make and very delicious! This has to be one of my favorite comfort food recipes.
As a family, we all enjoy eating Oven Baked Roast about once per month. I have a variety of ways that I prepare roasts, depending on what items I have in the pantry and how much time I have available.
When I prepare a Traditional Beef Pot Roast, I follow the recipe below, baking it in the oven at 300F for about 3 hours. Slow cooking beef like this is a really easy way to cook as the joint becomes fork tender.
An Oven Baked Beef Pot Roast results in all the ingredients slowly roasting together. Not only does this give you a great one pot meal, but the flavors meld together resulting in a very rich flavored gravy. This is a very hearty meal!
If I’m going to be out of the house all day, or just very busy during the day, I’ll prepare a Beef Pot Roast in the Crockpot, so it’s ready in time for dinner.
What is the difference between a roast and a pot roast?
Roast beef is cooked dry in the oven, whereas a pot roast is cooked in liquid. Pot roasts are cooked at a lower temperature and for longer than a traditional roast. This means you can make the best of cheaper cuts of beef, like the beef shoulder I have used here which are ideal for slow cooking and full of great flavor.
How to make my Beef Pot Roast recipe:
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place roast in a 9×13-inch pan and surround it with the potatoes, carrots, and onion slices.
- Add in 1 cup of water.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for about 3 hours.
- If using a crockpot or slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours.
Does pot roast get more tender the longer it cooks?
Slow cooking a pot roast is a really easy way to cook as the meat gets more tender the longer you cook it for. The beef joint is pot roasted in gravy and if its still a little tough once its cooked, place the aluminum foil back over the roast and place it back into the oven for a little longer.
You know the pot roast is cooked when it is fork tender and starting to fall apart.
Best cut of beef for pot roast?
I use either a boneless shoulder or rump roasting joint when making my Easy Pot Roast Beef. You can also use a chuck roast, blade roast or other roasting joints. Just be aware that you may have to adjust the cooking time a little depending on the joint of beef you choose.
Recipe ingredients & flavor variations:
- BEEF: I use either a boneless shoulder or rump roasting joint but feel free to use any beef roasting joint that your family enjoy eating. You may need to adapt the cooking times a little.
- VEGETABLES: potatoes, carrots and onion are added to the roasting pan and are served with the beef. You can add other veggies you enjoy eating, for example pumpkin; squash; beets and parsnip would all work in this tasty dish.
- GRAVY SEASONING: in addition to the roasting joint and veggies, I add 1 pkg of Brown Gravy Sauce (3 tbsp from the BIG Jar), 1 pkg of Dry Ranch Seasoning (3 tbsp from the BIG Jar), and 2 Anaheim Peppers on top. I buy mine at Sam’s Club (click on the dark links to see the listing) because it’s the most economical in my area, but they are also available at Amazon and other places. I use these frequently so it’s more cost effective for me to buy in bulk.
- ANAHEIM PEPPERS: don’t fear the peppers! I don’t tolerate eating hot & spicy food AT ALL, but these peppers just add a touch of flavor, it’s not too spicy, even for me!
- Pot roasting is a really simple cooking method and you can use your slow cooker or Instant Pot too. I use the same ingredients in this Traditional Beef Pot Roast as I do in my Mississippi Pot Roast, throwing all the ingredients in my slow cooker or crock pot first thing in the morning. I leave it on low all day and it’s ready to enjoy at dinner time! When I’m in a hurry or short on time, I’ll pull out my Instant Pot and prepare an Instant Pot Roast.
- I cook my beef pot roast in a low oven at 300F for 3 hours. Slow cooking a roasting joint like this is really easy and a very forgiving method of cooking. If the roast isn’t quite ready after the 3 hours I place the roast back into the oven and cook it for a little longer until the beef is tender and falling apart.
- Don’t overcook pot roast or the meat can become dry. Keep an eye on the braising liquid in the pot and add a splash more water if it looks to be too dry.
What I love most about this pot roast is that everything is cooked in one pot. Deliciously tender beef with lots of tasty veggies and a rich beef gravy. I keep the rest of my side dishes on the simple side, perhaps adding some steamed greens or broccoli.
No roast of this type is ever complete in my kitchen without my Sprite Biscuits, which my family love. In fact these biscuits are a great accompaniment to any pot roast. Not only are they are easy to make, they taste delicious too!
Can I make ahead Beef Pot Roast?
This is a great make ahead dish. I will often cook the pot roast the day before then leave it in the fridge overnight ready to warm up the next day. In fact this beef roast dish tastes even better when left to sit overnight as the flavors really do become more rich and intense.
Can I freeze Easy Beef Pot Roast?
There are rarely any leftovers when I make this pot roast. However, once cooled any leftovers are easily stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy remove the container from the freezer and defrost overnight in the refrigerator before warming the pot roast up gently to piping hot.
Don’t miss these other DELICIOUS When Is Dinner Beef Recipes:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- Oven Baked Round Steak
- Easy Crock Pot Round Steak
- Instant Pot Round Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Spaghetti & Meatballs
- Sunday Spaghetti Sauce
- Hunt’s Homemade Meatloaf
- One Shoulder or Rump Roast
- 5-6 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- Beef Stew Seasoning Packet
- couple of slices of onion
Preheat oven to 300.
Place roast in a 9 x 13 pan.
Surround it with the potatoes, carrots, and onion slices.
ADd in 1 cup of water.
Cover with aluminum foil.
Cook for about 3 hours.
Bake some Sprite Biscuits, and dinner is served!
Nutritional Information will vary according to specific ingredients used and size of servings consumed.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 1.2ggSaturated Fat: 0.1ggCholesterol: omgSodium: 207 mgmgCarbohydrates: 63.6ggFiber: 11.1ggSugar: 11ggProtein: 10.8gg
These are some items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Beef Pot Roast Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchFlexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats set, Colorful Kitchen Cutting Board Set of 3 Colored MatsMcCormick Beef Stew Seasoning Mix, 1.5 oz, Pack of 12OXO 0719812210810 Good Grips Y Peeler, one size, multiSunday Roasts: A Year’s Worth of Mouthwatering Roasts, from Old-Fashioned Pot Roasts to Glorious Turkeys, and Legs of LambModern Dutch Oven Cookbook: Fresh Ideas for Braises, Stews, Pot Roasts, and Other One-Pot MealsFix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!Crock-Pot Recipe Collection