Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins (AKA Sunday Chicken) are a great tasting and easy to cook chicken recipe. The chicken tenderloins are wrapped in slices of bacon, before being slow cooked in a creamy sauce made with chicken soup, sour cream a combination of both cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins
We love to eat Bacon Wrapped Baked Chicken in our home and, to mix it up just a little bit, I also have this Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins recipe.
I like to cook the chicken tenderloins low and slow. Once it’s done baking, the chicken will fall right apart, it’s VERY tender and the gravy is utterly delicious.
These Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders are perfect served with a potato side and a couple of veggie sides.
However, I’d also consider serving Sprite Biscuits with it, and pouring the gravy over the bread – it tastes so good.
I like making this on Sunday afternoons because we’re here at home and the rest of the day can be spent working on projects. This bacon wrapped chicken with cheese dish can just bake away in the oven. Typically, I’ll put it on around 2pm, and let it cook until 6pm.
How to make Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders:
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Wrap each piece of chicken tenderloin in the bacon slices, and place into an oven-proof pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cream cheese and shredded cheese.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken in the pan.
- Wrap the pan in foil and place into the hot oven to bake for 4 hours.
- Now remove the foil from the pan, raise the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pan back into the hot oven and bake for 10 minutes, turn the chicken over and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- BACON: Use regular thickness, not thick cut bacon. You can use regular or smoked bacon, whichever you prefer
- CHICKEN: The supermarket sells thin tenderloins, making this recipe very easy to prepare. If you cannot find them, chicken breasts work too, just slice them thinner when you get home.
- SAUCE: The sauce for this recipe is made by combing a can of cream of chicken soup, with sour cream, cream cheese and some shredded cheddar cheese.
- CHEESE: Any hard cheese will work, we prefer the taste of sharp cheddar in the gravy.
This is a super simple cook, however the flavors are easy to play with and here are some easy suggestions for you to try at home:
- Swap regular cream cheese for a flavored cream cheese, garlic and herb cream cheese would be ideal with the other flavors.
- This chicken soup can be swapped for a mushroom soup.
- I’ve used sharp cheddar cheese, but you could use Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or any other hard cheese.
- Add some fresh herbs to the sauce, eg: parsley; basil; or thyme.
- Ground spices can work well here too, eg add a pinch of smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, or some garlic powder.
Recipe hints & tips:
- COOKING TEMPERATURE: You can cook this in a shorter amount of time at a higher temperature, but we’ve found the chicken to be much more tender when it’s cooked low and slow and all of the flavors have time to meld and develop. I bake mine at 275 degrees F for 4 hours, unwrap it, turn the heat to 400 degrees F, remove the foil, bake for 10 minutes, flip the chicken over, bake the other side for 10 minutes – This just crisps up the bacon.
- CRISP UP THE BACON: If after baking the bacon is not as crispy as you would like, pop it under the broiler to crisp up. Just take care not to leave it under for too long or you risk overcooking the chicken.
What side dishes pair well with Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins?
I like to serve it this chicken dish with some potatoes and a couple of veggie sides. Try my Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Green Beans, Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus, Fried Okra, Sheet Pan Garlic Potatoes and Green Beans, or my Cheesy Potato Casserole.
Can Bacon Wrapped Chicken be made ahead?
Yes, you can make this up the day before and place into the oven the following day. I suggest wrapping the chicken in the bacon and then combine the sauce ingredients together in a separate container. Keep the chicken and sauce separate in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble and bake the dish.
How long does it take to cook chicken tenderloins in the oven?
I like to cook this recipe low and slow, 275 degrees F for 4 hours then turn the heat up to 400 degrees F for the last 20 minutes. This chicken will be just fall apart tender.
However, if you want a faster cook, cook at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Do I have to flip the chicken over during baking?
You don’t have to, but I find that turning the chicken mid way through the cook ensures that the bacon crisps up nicely all the way round.
How to store leftover bacon wrapped chicken tenderloins?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can enjoy them cold, or warm them gently in the microwave, although the bacon will not remain as crispy as when freshly cooked.
Don’t miss these additional delicious Chicken recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Chicken Carbonara
- Grilled Chicken
- Buttermilk Chicken
- Mexican Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Divine Casserole
- Homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Chicken Tenderloins & Garlic Pasta
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenderloins (AKA Sunday Chicken)
- 1 package of Chicken Tenderloins
- 1 package Bacon (NOT thick cut)
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 pkg Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Wrap Chicken in Bacon Slices
Mix Cream of Chicken Soup, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheese and pour over chicken in pan.
Wrap pan in foil
Bake at 275 for 4 hours
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, turn chicken, bake an additional 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 476mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Tuesday 8th of October 2013
oh my making me wanna run down stair and m ake some lol
Monday 7th of October 2013
This looks way good. I'm gonna have to save this one for sure.
Tuesday 13th of August 2013
This looks delicious and definitely a dish my family would love! I've got to give this a try this week for sure! Thanks for sharing!
Monday 15th of July 2013
haha wow.. that looks awesomely awesome!
Monday 15th of July 2013
is there a low fat version, lol?