Fried Okra just screams Summer time. It’s savory and crunchy, and has a flavor all it’s own. When fried, it pairs wonderfully with tomatoes, and just about anything else you can dream up. You can serve it as an appetizer, or a side dish. It’s easy to make, and you can have it done and warming in the oven for guests to arrive, or pile it high on a platter and watch it disappear. You’re gonna’ love this one!
- 2 - 3 pounds of fresh Okra
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- Wash the okra in cool water in a colander, and trim off both ends.
- Cut the Okra in half inch to one inch pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt, and toss with hands.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal and baking powder, until blended. Sprinkle the Okra with the flour/cornmeal mixture, and toss until well coated. (Okra should be completely coated, if it isn't, add a little more flour and cornmeal).
- Place the Okra on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 1 hour.
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Fried Okra Recipe:
KUKPO Mixing Bowls – 3 piece set Includes 1.8 Qt, 3.6 Qt, 6.5 Qt, Easy Grip Handle With Non – Skid BottomSilicone Spatula, Stainless Steel Core Heat Resistant Non stick Rubber Spatulas, Set of 4Bellemain Micro-perforated Stainless Steel 5-quart Colander-Dishwasher SafeRachael Ray 56524 3-Piece Oven Lovin’ Cookie Pan Steel Baking Sheet Set, Gray with Orange GripsDOWAN 9.7-Inch Porcelain Serving Platters/Plates – Set of 4, WhiteNinja Air Fryer, 1550-Watt Programmable Base for Air Frying, Roasting, Reheating & Dehydrating with 4-Quart Ceramic Coated Basket (AF101), Black/GrayPresto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep FryerReynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper – 60 Square’The Whole Okra: A Seed to Stem CelebrationOkra: a Savor the South® cookbook (Savor the South Cookbooks)Okra Eaters