My deliciously moreish Loaded Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes combine crispy potato skins with a soft potato center flavored with cream cheese, buttermilk and ranch dressing and topped with cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
Loaded Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes
Loaded Baked Potatoes are one of my favorite things to enjoy. We love to enjoy Twice Baked Potatoes as a side dish in our home. They’re a great accompaniment to so many tasty meals and something I cook often for my family!
Once the potatoes have been baked, hands on prep time is minimal, only 10 minutes to prepare the filling and stuff the potatoes. But don’t let the simplicity fool you, as they sure do taste amazing.
I like to season the potato filling with ranch dressing mix but you can use pretty much any seasoning or spice blend, so get creative.
I hope your family enjoys this Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe as much as mine does!
How to make Loaded Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and place your potatoes in a deep sided casserole dish.
- Place them into the hot oven and bake them for one hour, then set them aside to cool completely.
- When cool to touch, slice each potato in half and scoop out the centers with a spoon, (leaving about 1/4 inch inside the potato.
- Place the soft potato centers into in a bowl.
- Next place the potato skins on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes.
- Take your bowl of soft potatoes and add in the cream cheese, butter, ranch dressing mix, and buttermilk.
- Mix with a hand mixer until smooth, add more buttermilk if too dry.
- Scoop the potato mixer into the skin, filling each one up, as shown above.
- Place the potatoes back into the casserole dish and top with cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- Broil for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese has melted and serve immediately.
- POTATO: I would go for a russet or Idaho potato, they are great potatoes for baking.
- CHEESE: I use cream cheese to mix into the potato filling, then shredded cheddar cheese for sprinkling over the top. You could use any other shredded cheese that melts well to top these potatoes.
- BUTTER: I like to use salted butter for the added seasoning. If you use unsalted butter just check the seasoning on the potato mixture before adding it back into the potato skins.
- SEASONING: I use a pack of dry Ranch Dressing mix to season the cheesy potato filling.
- BUTTERMILK: Buttermilk is added to the potato filling to loosen it a little. If you don’t have buttermilk you could use a splash of milk or even some light cream.
- TOPPINGS: Along with the shredded cheddar cheese, I like to add some bacon bits and chopped green onion for a real pop of flavor.
- Swap the regular potato for sweet potato to make loaded baked sweet potatoes. Just adjust the baking times accordingly.
- Add some freshly chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro to the cheesy potato mixture.
- For a little chili heat, stir some chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes through the potato filling.
- I like to sprinkle over some shredded cheddar cheese, but Monterey jack, Parmesan, mozzarella or Gruyere cheese would work well too.
- Play with the seasoning, I have used Ranch Dressing mix, but this same recipe would work with any other blend of spices or spice blends like Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, etc.
These delicious twice baked potatoes pack a real flavor punch and make a great tasting side dish to any meal. Try them with my Loaded Creamed Cheese Corn and serve with my Best Grilled Chicken Breast or my Oven Baked Pork Chops.
Or how about serving them as a light lunch option with a side of dressed green salad or a tomato and herb salad?
Recipe hints & tips:
- Always set the potatoes aside to cool completely before handling them, otherwise you risk burning your hands.
- Check the potato filling for seasoning and adjust as required, before you load the filling into the potato skins.
What is difference between baked potato and twice baked potato?
A baked potato is a potato that has been baked once in the oven. Whilst a twice baked potato is first baked in the oven, until soft. Then the center is scooped out, mixed with other ingredients, and then stuffed back into the potato skin, before being returned to the oven for it’s second bake.
Can you prep baked potatoes ahead of time?
Yes this is a great make ahead dish. You can bake the potatoes, cool them and stuff the skins with the potato filling. Then store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When ready to enjoy garnish with the toppings of your choice and place under a hot grill or into a hot oven to warm through.
How to store leftover loaded baked potatoes?
Store leftover potatoes, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to enjoy, warm through in a hot oven or under a hot grill.
Should you oil potatoes before baking?
There is no need to oil to potato skin before baking, as you want to get the potato skin nice and crisp and the oil stops the skin from crisping up.
Try these other great loaded potato recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Homemade Potato Skins
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Philly Cheesesteak Potato Skins
- Loaded Roasted Potatoes & Chicken
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- 5 Potatoes
- 1/2 a package of Cream Cheese 4 oz.
- 1/2 a stick of Butter
- 1 package of Ranch Dressing Mix dry
- 3/4 to 1 cup of Buttermilk
- Bacon Bits for topping
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping
- Green Onions Chopped for topping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Loaded Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe:
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Deep Dish Pan 9 x 13 InchPyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl SetRachael Ray 56524 3-Piece Oven Lovin’ Cookie Pan Steel Baking Sheet Set, Gray with Orange GripsKitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk – Contour SilverWeber 6488 Original Potato NailsBaked Potatoes: The Ultimate Recipe Guide300 Best Potato Recipes: A Complete Cook’s GuideThe Potato Cookbook: Recipes Featuring the World’s Greatest VegetableThe Potatopia Cookbook: 77 Recipes Starring the Humble PotatoBaked Potatoes Cookbook: Step by Step Recipes of Oven Baked Potatoes