Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup is an easy weeknight meal that you can make in under 30 minutes. It’s made with cheesy tortellini, Italian sausage, tomatoes, and spinach in an electric pressure cooker. Top it with shredded cheese and serve it to your whole family.
Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
This Instant pot sausage tortellini soup recipe is a full meal all by itself. The hot broth is good enough to drink by itself, but you won’t need to with the cheese-stuffed tortellini and tasty vegetables. It’s a hearty soup that pairs well with homemade bread or a side salad, and don’t forget dessert!
Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the ground Italian sausage, green pepper, onion, and garlic.
Cook until the sausage is browned.
Pour the chicken broth into the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot.
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.
Stir to mix all the ingredients together.
Place the frozen tortellini in the pot and press the pasta down into the liquid until they’re fully submerged.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
When the cook time is up, do a quick release to remove the pressure from the pot.
Set the pot to Sauté mode and add the baby spinach.
Cook for an additional one or two minutes, until the spinach softens.
Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Making this easy tortellini soup is perfect for weeknight meals when you don’t have much time but still want to make a home-cooked meal. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the best soup.
- Make this soup on the stovetop by following the instructions and letting it simmer for 30 minutes. Then add the tortellini and spinach off the heat and serve.
- Add the salt and pepper to the soup after it’s cooked in the instant pot so you can adjust the seasoning based on your preference.
- Make sure the tortellini is still frozen when you put them in the pressure cooker, so they don’t overcook.
This instant pot soup recipe has simple ingredients that can be altered to fit your tastes and preferences. Here are some options to get you started.
- Use hot Italian sausage, chorizo, or andouille sausage to make the soup spicier.
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if you have some on hand.
- Use kale, collard greens, mustard greens, or Swiss chard instead of spinach to add some variety.
- Use other kinds of tortellini stuffed with chicken and cheese, sausage, spinach, or red peppers.
- Add a quarter cup of softened cream cheese to make this soup even creamier.
- Exchange the sausage in this hearty soup with ground beef or ground turkey.
How To Serve
Enjoy this creamy sausage tortellini soup topped with shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese and a side of fresh bread, a crunchy green salad, or roasted vegetables.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Store leftover tortellini sausage soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: When you’re ready to eat your leftover soup, heat it up in a pot on the stove until it begins to simmer. You don’t need to let it boil or simmer for a while because it’s already cooked. Just go ahead and turn off the heat.
You can also heat up individual portions in a bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments until just heated through.
How long do the tortellini need to cook before they’re done?
You only need to cook tortellini for about 3 minutes, or they’ll begin falling apart.
What kind of sausage is best for Instant Pot Tortellini soup?
The best kind of sausage for this soup is ground mild Italian sausage. You can also use sweet Italian sausage if you can’t find mild.
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes in sausage tortellini soup?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes if they are in season, but canned is easier and fresher when you’re making this soup in the winter.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 package frozen cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the ground Italian sausage, green pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Cook until the sausage is browned.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Stir to mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the frozen tortellini in the pot and press the pasta down into the liquid until they're fully submerged.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, do a quick release to remove the pressure from the pot.
- Set the pot to Sauté mode and add the baby spinach.
- Cook for an additional one or two minutes, until the spinach softens.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1849mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 24g