These Christmas Tree Brownies are adorable, and fun to make with the kids. The brownies can be made from scratch, or for ease use a box of brownie mix like I have to save time! Then it’s a simple case of decorating the Christmas trees using some colored frosting and a few decorative candies and sprinkles.
Christmas Tree Brownies
I love baking with my kids over the festive holidays. It’s so easy to turn regular food, like these chocolate brownies into different themes for various holidays. I’ve chosen a chocolate brownie Christmas tree as this year’s festive sweet treat.
The kids love to decorate cookies, brownies, and cakes, to eat at home, and also to take with us to holiday parties. Today, I’ll show you how easy it is to turn a regular batch of brownies into Christmas Tree Brownies!
Depending on the amount of time I have, I’ll decide if I want to use my Homemade Brownies Recipe from scratch, or for ease use a box of brownie mix from the Supermarket. For this example, we’ll use a boxed mix.
However, don’t be intimidated by the thought of making your own batch of homemade brownies, they are a simple bake and pretty easy to whip up from scratch.
- BROWNIE: for ease I used a box of brownie mix – read the label to ensure you have all the additional ingredients you need to make the brownies.
- FROSTING: again for ease, I used a cup of ready made vanilla frosting.
- FOOD COLORING: you will need food coloring for the color(s) you choose for the frosting garland.
- OTHER DECORATION: use any variety of candies, icing stars or sprinkles to decorate the brownies.
How to make Christmas Tree Brownies
- To begin, gather all of your ingredients.
- Check the back of the box for what additional items are necessary, it can vary between brands.
- Line the baking tin with baking parchment.
- Prepare and bake brownies as directed on the brownie mix box or your own homemade brownie recipe.
- When a toothpick is inserted and removed clean, you’ll know the brownies are done.
- Allow brownies to cool, and gently remove from the pan and place onto new, clean parchment paper.
- Divide the brownies by cutting a straight line down the center horizontally. Cut off hard edges and then cut triangles out of each half to create the trees.
- Next, in a small bowl, mix food coloring into frosting until you reach your desired shade of green.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the tip cut off.
- Pipe it onto the brownies in a zigzag formation, so it looks like garland on a Christmas Tree.
- Finally, decorate the trees with candies and sprinkles.
- For ease I used a box of brownie mix, however if you want to make your own brownies try my brownie recipe, or your own favorite homemade brownie recipe.
- Add some ground spices like ground cinnamon and/or ground ginger to the brownie batter and the frosting.
- For a chocolate orange brownie, stir some finely shredded orange zest into the brownie batter and add a little more zest to the frosting.
- When it comes to decorating the trees get as creative as you want and use as much or as little decoration as you want.
- I used green food coloring to make green frosting garlands, but you can swap green for any other color, or try a variety of different colors.
- Use any variety of candies and sprinkles to decorate the trees.
These easy Christmas tree brownies great to wrap in cellophane to take along to bake sales at school, church, social function, or Craft Fairs.
You can also bake the brownies, cut them, and then take the decorating supplies to a school classroom party for a fun kids activity and snack in one!
Recipe hints & tips
- Be sure to line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper before cooking, so it’ll be easy to remove the brownies from the pan when they are done.
- Allow the brownie to cool and set before cutting into tree shaped triangles.
- My kids LOVE to eat the hard edges, so nothing goes to waste.
- Boxes of brownie mix are often on sale during the holidays, so it’s a great time to stock up as they store well and have a long shelf life.
Always allow the brownies to cool completely before you attempt to cut them. This allows the brownies to set and solidify, making them easier to cut and remove from the tin without falling apart. If your kitchen is particularly warm, I’d even recommend placing the brownies into the refrigerator to set before cutting up.
Once baked, cooled and decorated, store the brownies in a single layer, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Brownies can be stored on the counter top, however as these brownies are frosted, the frosting holds up better in the refrigerator.
Don’t be tempted to double up the brownies in layers or you will flatten the decoration. Store in a single layer.
Don’t miss these additional Christmas Themed Crafts & Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Reindeer Noses Treat Bags
- Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Snowman
- Christmas Potpourri with Printable
- Rudolph Chow Snack Mix
- Christmas Tree Krispie Treats
- Christmas Tree Strawberry Bites
- Reindeer Treat Bags
- Melting Snowman Water Bottle Labels with Printable
- Snowman Cupcakes
- Grinch Fruit Kabobs
- 1 box of brownie mix including required oil, water & eggs or your favorite brownie recipe
- 1 cup frosting
- Food coloring any color(s you choose for the garland)
- Candies and/or sprinkles to decorate
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing these Christmas Tree Brownies:
Betty Crocker Delights, Supreme Original Brownie Mix, 16 oz Box (Pack of 8)Wilton Creamy White Decorator Icing,Medium Consistency,4 lb. Tub, Cake Decorating SuppliesMcCormick Green Food Color, 1 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)Wilton Holiday Sprinkles Assortment, 6.8 oz.Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick 8-Inch Square Cake Pans, Set of 2Reynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper – 60 Square FeetOXO 1169600 Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Set, White Bowls Brown Handles, Blue/Green/YellowOxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set