Oven Baked Lemon Chicken is a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s made with chicken breasts, lemon juice, melted butter, minced garlic cloves, honey, and Italian seasoning. This savory and sour dish is an easy recipe to throw together when you’re short on time but still want a delicious home-cooked meal your whole family will love.
Oven Baked Lemon Chicken
This easy chicken breast recipe is made with simple ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store. Prep it in advance and bake it when you’re ready to eat. These juicy chicken breasts pair well with fresh bread, roasted vegetables, and a crunchy green salad.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk together the butter, garlic, chicken broth, lemon juice, and honey.
Place the chicken in the baking dish.
Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
Season each chicken breast liberally with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley before serving.
These tips and tricks will help you make the best oven baked lemon chicken you’ve ever tasted.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the chicken if it starts to get dry or burn.
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Use a combination of dried parsley, thyme, rosemary, and oregano if you don’t have a bottle of Italian seasoning.
- Place fresh lemon slices on the side of each piece of chicken on the plates when serving.
- Remove the chicken when the thickest part of the breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
- Let the chicken rest for five minutes before cutting into it.
This easy baked lemon chicken recipe has amazing flavor. Here are some tasty options for alterations and variations.
- Use chicken thighs or legs instead of chicken breasts
- Substitute fish for the chicken.
- Add a splash of white wine for a little bit of acid.
- Saute the chicken first to get crispy skin and then bake until the inside is cooked all the way through.
- Substitute garlic powder for minced garlic and add a little onion powder.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley or other fresh herbs over the top of the dish before serving.
- Add some red pepper flakes for a spicy twist.
- Toss in some whole garlic cloves while the chicken bakes.
How to Serve
Serve this chicken on a busy weeknight when you don’t have a lot of time to spend cooking. You can quickly make a side dish to go with it like green beans, sweet potatoes, cauliflower rice, or baby potatoes.
How to Store
Keep leftover healthy baked lemon chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To reheat, place a piece of chicken in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until it’s heated all the way through.
You can also reheat it in an air fryer, which is always better for texture.
Any way you decide to reheat, be sure not to overcook the chicken because it will dry out easily.
Why is my oven-baked lemon chicken dry?
If your chicken is dry, this is most likely because it was baked too long or the chicken wasn’t covered enough by the liquid.
Can I double this recipe for oven-baked chicken?
You can definitely double this recipe for a large crowd or family gathering.
Can I freeze oven-baked lemon chicken?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken before or after it’s baked. It’s best to bake it when you’re ready to eat, but if you won’t be able to, go ahead and bake it first and then freeze it.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish.
- Whisk together the butter, garlic, chicken broth, lemon juice, and honey.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Season each chicken breast liberally with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley before serving.