Hunt’s Homemade Meatloaf
This recipe is NOT sponsored or endorsed by Hunt’s or any other brand. I call it Hunt’s Homemade Meatloaf, because the KEY ingredient in this recipe is Hunt’s Meatloaf Sauce. I serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans.
I took this picture on my camera phone inside a Walmart so you could see exactly what it looks like. It’s only $0.78 a can (you need just one per loaf), so it’s affordable too. The ONLY place I can find it in our area is Walmart, and they just recently started carrying it. When this product first came out, years ago, we lived in Tennessee and I got it at Kroger. Then we moved to Oklahoma and I could get it at Walmart or Homeland. Since we moved to New England though, I’ve been searching dozens of grocers for this item, to no avail. I’ve been trying other recipes for Meatloaf, sauces and seasonings, but found nothing that the family liked. They craved it, ordered it at restaurants, and were disappointed. So, I stock up every time we go to TN to visit family or order it from Amazon.
Before I give you the recipe (it’s on the can too), I’ll reveal my last Meatloaf Secret. I use 1lb Ground Beef and 1lb Jimmy Dean Maple Flavored Breakfast Sausage instead of 2 lbs ground beef. (I can only find that at Walmart up here too, other grocers carry Jimmy Dean Sausage, but only Walmart carry’s the Maple Flavored). When I make this for friends, they can never figure out what my “secret” to amazing meatloaf is, and it’s very simple. Hunt’s Seasoning and Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage.
*Note: You CAN cook this in meatloaf pans. I now cook mine on foil lined cookie sheets because I have to triple the recipe to feed my three varsity athlete teenage boys. I just don’t have enough meatloaf pans to cook that many at once, haha!
Hunt's Homemade Meatloaf
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean Maple Flavored Breakfast Sausage
- 1 can Hunt's Meatloaf Seasoning pictured above
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Italian Seasoning Bread Crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix ground beef and breakfast sausage in a large bowl. Add in half the can of tomato seasoning, the beaten eggs, and the bread crumbs. Mix well and thorough.
- Transfer mixture onto the baking sheet and form into a long, narrow loaf, shaping with your hands.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour, remove - drain if necessary - usually any grease just burns onto the foil, as you can see in my picture, pour remaining seasoning from can over top of loaf and return to oven to cook about another 10 minutes.
When I cook it, I spread some foil on a baking sheet, spray it with non-stick spray, and make it into a huge loaf. It’s not pretty (as you can see from the picture) but it gets it cooked through. Even with 2 pounds of meat, there are often not enough leftovers for lunch the next day. With four hungry guys in this house, leftovers are becoming increasingly rare!
These are a few things I find helpful when preparing Hunt’s Homemade Meatloaf in my own kitchen:
Hunt’s, Dinner Starters, Seasoned Tomato Sauce For Meatloaf, 15oz Can (Pack of 6)OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-PieceWilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Meatloaf Pan Set, Reduce the Fat and Kick Up the Flavor, Bake Your Favorite Meatloaf and Let the Fat Drain Away, 2-Piece Set, 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch