Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie is a real favorite with all the family, packed full of meaty flavor, and with a golden topping of bubbly cheese. What’s not to love?
This family friendly dinner is made with only 6 ingredients and is on the table in less than 45 minutes, hands on prep time is minimal. That’s a winning plate of food for me any day of the week, but particularly on those busy nights we all have during the week!
My easy cheeseburger pie is made by browning ground beef with onions, topping it with cheese and pouring over a mixture of Bisquick mixed with eggs and milk. The result is a molten, meaty, cheesy pie that is very moreish.
This is comfort food at its best. There are no fancy ingredients in my best cheeseburger pie, making it a great budget friendly family dinner.
What is Bisquick?
Bisquick is a pre-made baking mix from the Betty Crocker brand and it can be used in a wide range of sweet and savory dishes. The brand often print their impossibly easy pie recipes on the boxes of Bisquick mix.
Bisquick is a mix of flour, shortening, salt, sugar and baking powder, and is used for speed and convenience in baking. You can use Bisquick in any recipe that asks for an all purpose baking mix, like pancakes, muffins, biscuits and pies.
How to make Gluten Free Easy Cheeseburger Pie?
If you are Coeliac or following a gluten free diet no problem, look for the Bisquick Gluten Free variety. If you can’t find it on the store shelves, then its worth having a look online.
How to make homemade Bisquick?
If you can’t get your hands on Bisquick, no problem. You can make your own homemade substitute by blending the following ingredients together to form a breadcrumb like consistency:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil (or melted unsalted butter, or shortening)
How to make Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie:
This is a really quick meal to prepare so it’s important to gather all of the necessary ingredients together before you start cooking. That way you have everything you need to hand.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Start by browning the ground beef and an onion in a hot skillet until the meat is done and the onions have softened and become clear.
- Grease a deep sided pie dish – I like to spray mine with Pam.
- Add the beef and onion mixture and spread it over the bottom of the pie dish.
- Next add a layer of shredded cheese on top, I usually add about a cup.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/2 cup of Bisquick with the milk and eggs. Whisk everything together until it is well combined.
- Pour the Bisquick mixture over the meat and cheese.
- Place the pie dish in the oven and bake it at 400F degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately while piping hot.
There is so much flavor in my impossibly easy cheeseburger pie that I like to keep any side dishes light and simple. Some steamed veggies, pickles or a dressed side salad is all you need.
You can top the pie with a good spoon of mustard, ketchup, or your favorite sauce. In my house we all love Country Bobs sauce which tastes great with this pie.
Can you freeze Cheeseburger Pie?
This is a great pie to make ahead of time and freeze ready for another day. Simply bake the pie and allow it to cool thoroughly in the pie dish.
Once cooled cover the pie with some cling film, then a thick layer of kitchen foil and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, defrost the pie and heat it up in a warm oven to piping hot.
Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie – recipe hints & tips:
- This recipe is really simple to double up. So make 2 pies, enjoy one with the family and freeze the second pie ready for a super quick dinner another day!
- There is no special equipment needed to make this pie, just use a deep-sided pie dish. Ensure it is well greased so that the pie doesn’t stick to the sides.
- I like the simplicity of flavors in this pie, however that’s not to say you can’t adapt and add other flavors into this pie. Make the pie you know your family will enjoy. Here are some ideas for other flavors you might want to add:
- add some minced garlic along with the onion
- add some chopped bacon and brown it along with the ground beef
- up the veggie count and saute some bell peppers or zucchini along with the onions
- stir some fresh or dried herbs through the meat mixture, eg: parsley; oregano or thyme
- 1.5 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 Cup Bisquick
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Cheeseburger Pie Recipe:
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25Betty Crocker Ultimate Bisquick Cookbook 323 DeliciousBetty Crocker Bisquick Impossibly Easy Pies: Pies that Magically Bake Their Own CrustTempting Bisquick Recipes: Your #1 Cookbook of Versatile Baking Mix Ideas!Betty Crocker Bisquick to the Rescue: More than 100 Emergency Meals to Save the Day! (Betty Crocker Cooking)
Tuesday 15th of June 2021
This looks yummy. Looking forward to trying it.
Thursday 20th of August 2020
Great recipe! I strongly suggest seasoning the ground beef with a minimum of salt and pepper, to taste. I added a bit of Cajun seasoning too.
Tuesday 25th of August 2020
We sometimes add various spices such as basil, cilantro, oregano, etc. My husband and kids like it with Louisiana Hot Sauce, too!
Sunday 21st of October 2012
I wasn't sure, by the name, if this would be something I'd like but it looks delicious and the kids would love it.
Sunday 21st of October 2012
Sunday 21st of October 2012
I'd like seeing comfort foods recipes.