My Easy Apple Dumplings recipe combines green apple which I slice up and wrap in crescent roll pastry before being topped with a warm, spiced butter and brown sugar syrup. I then add a can of Sprite and bake the dish in a hot oven. Serve warm with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice-cream for dessert perfection.
Easy Apple Dumplings
I’ve had a recipe for Traditional Apple Dumplings that I’ve wanted to try and share with you for some time. I thought this would be a great time to try out my Green Apple Dumplings recipe, and see how well it was received.
After seeing my guys devour these, I feel like they need to come with some sort of warning label. Something along the lines of “WARNING: Eating an entire pan of this might send you into a sugar coma!”
You should be okay eating ONE serving of this Classic Apple Dumplings recipe, but the pan of 8 I made was gone so quickly I barely got pictures. I didn’t even get to taste them, but I’m assuming from the speed at which they disappeared that they must be good!
My crew thinks any Crescent Roll Dessert Recipe is delicious, so I like to experiment when I have different fruits on hand! We have an apple orchard near our home, and I had green apples handy from our most recent visit.
What are Apple Dumplings?
Apple dumplings are a sweet dish made wrapping apples in a blanket of pastry dough, covering them in a warm, spiced syrup made with brown sugar and butter, before baking the whole dish in a hot oven.
How to make Easy Apple Dumplings:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and slice the apple into 8 even-sized slices.
- Melt the butter in saucepan.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour in a bowl, then pour into the melted butter and mix well.
- Remove the crescent rolls from the can and cut into the pre-cut triangle shapes. Then wrap each apple slice with a crescent triangle.
- Place the dumplings into an 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch pan.
- Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the top, ensure you get some of the warm syrup on top of each of the crescent rolls.
- Now pour the can of Sprite down the middle of the dish, taking care NOT to pour on top of the rolls.
- Place the pan into the hot oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- PASTRY: For ease, I use a can of ready made crescent rolls.
- APPLE: I used a green apple, but you can make this apple dumplings recipe with any variety of baking apple.
- BUTTER: You can use unsalted or salted butter, both will work in this dish.
- SUGAR: Soft brown sugar is my go to as it has a great depth of flavor, but you could use regular granulated white sugar too.
- SPICES: I like to add ground cinnamon to the butter and sugar syrup as it has a lovely warming flavor which pairs really well with the apple.
- FLOUR: I used Self Rising but All Purpose flour would work too.
- SPRITE: A small quantity of Sprite is added to the base of the dish, which adds great flavor to the sauce.
- Swap the green apple for any other variety of baking apple.
- Or swap the apple for any fruit, for example pears, apricots, peaches or plums.
- The Honey Butter Crescent Rolls make these especially delicious!
- I’ve added ground cinnamon to the syrup as it pairs really well with the fresh green apple. However, you could use a pinch of nutmeg or some ground ginger or mixed spices too. Add the flavors you like to eat.
Apple dumplings can be served either as a great tasting breakfast, or as a simple, warming dessert. If serving as a dessert I love to add a scoop of my favorite vanilla ice-cream. You could also swap the ice-cream for a spoon of thick whipping cream instead.
Where did apple dumplings originate from?
This dish is thought to have originated in Pennsylvania in the North Eastern United States, created by the Amish community, where it is served as a dessert, but also as a breakfast dish too.
What type of apple makes the best apple dumplings?
Go for a firm and tart apple that is suitable for cooking, something like a Granny Smith, Braeburn or Gala apple. I usually opt for a green Granny Smith as their firm texture means they keep their shape once baked.
Can apple dumplings be made ahead?
I think this is a dish that is best served hot, straight from the oven. If left to sit the syrup will make the pastry really wet and soggy.
Don’t miss these additional delicious Apple Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
- Pumpkin Apple Dump Cake
- Apple & Pear Salad
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 8 ct Can Crescent Rolls
- 1 Green Apple Sliced and Peeled
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour *I used Self Rising
- 6 oz Sprite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1005Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 1019mgCarbohydrates: 116gFiber: 6gSugar: 46gProtein: 17g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen, when preparing these Green Apple Crescent Pie Dumplings:
OXO Good Grips Apple Slicer, Corer and DividerPremium Plastic Mixing Bowls (Set of 3) With Non Slip Bottom & Pouring Spout. For Healthy Cooking & Baking, Nesting and Stackable Free Bonus – measuring cupOXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon WhiskPyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch