These adorable snowman cupcakes are very easy to make, utilizing a boxed mix. They’d be a great activity for a kids holiday party at school. Just make the cupcakes, lightly frost, and separate other ingredients for kids to decorate!
This recipe utilizes a boxed cake mix, and easy to find ingredients, that make this a fun craft project to do with your kids during the winter months.
Our local Supercenter has the Pillsbury Traditional Vanilla Cake Mix regularly priced at just $1 per box.
The icing is $1.29, and the sprinkles are $1.29.
I already had the marshmallows & chocolate chips on hand, and the kids got tons of M&M’s trick or treating, so these were very inexpensive to make!
To begin, you’ll want to gather all of the ingredients, so you have everything handy.
Next, make the cupcakes according to the package directions.
I didn’t include those items in the ingredient list, simply because they will vary according to what brand you choose to make.
Of course, they’d always turn out just as great with a recipe where you made these from scratch.
I like to make my cupcakes both ways.
If the kids are helping me, I prefer to use the box mixes, for simplicity.
While I went with a vanilla cupcake, and vanilla icing, you could always make any flavor or variety of cupcake, the vanilla icing works best to make the snowman white 🙂
I may have had to draw the line when the boys wanted to mix in some Lemon Icing for yellow snow… (they ARE tween/teenage boys, and they found this hilarious).
Once the cupcakes are done, let them cool on a cooling rack, then give a light layer of frosting on top.
Finally, you’ll use place mini marshmallows in a slightly rounded line across the top half of the cupcake to create the hat.
Place two brown M&M’s below the hat line for eyes, and an orange M&M (edge first at a slight angle) below the eyes in the center to create a “carrot” nose.
Place a rounded line of 5 mini chocolate chips along the bottom edge of the cupcake to create the mouth.
Sprinkle blue sugar sprinkles only on the top of the cupcake above the marshmallow line for the hat.
Dip the edge of a mini marshmallow in frosting and place on top of the sprinkled half of the cupcake to complete the hat.
Then, enjoy the adorable cupcakes!
SNOWMAN CUPCAKES RECIPE
- 1 box white cake mix plus required ingredients listed on the box, i.e. eggs, oil & water
- 1 container white frosting
- 10 oz. Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Brown and Orange M&M’s or round candies in those colors
- Blue sugar sprinkles
- Bake cupcakes as directed on box.
- Allow cupcakes to cool. Spread a flat layer of white frosting onto each cupcake.
- Place mini marshmallows in a slightly rounded line across the top half of the cupcake to create the hat.
- Place two brown M&M’s below the hat line for eyes, and an orange M&M (edge first at a slight angle) below the
- eyes in the center to create a “carrot” nose.
- Place a rounded line of 5 mini chocolate chips along the bottom edge of the cupcake to create the mouth.
- Sprinkle blue sugar sprinkles only on the top of the cupcake above the marshmallow line for the hat.
- Dip the edge of a mini marshmallow in frosting and place on top of the sprinkled half of the cupcake to complete the hat.
- Repeat this process on all cupcakes.
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing these Snowman Cupcakes:
OXO 1169600 Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Set, White Bowls Brown Handles, Blue/Green/YellowOxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula SetHamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Snap-On Storage Case, Wire Beaters, Whisk and Bowl Rest, 250W, White (62682RZ)Rachael Ray 54075 Yum -o! Nonstick Bakeware 12-Cup Muffin Tin With Grips / Nonstick 12-Cup Cupcake Tin With Grips – 12 Cup, GrayChef Craft 50 Count Cupcake Liners, SnowmanTovolo Cupcake ScoopKraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallows, 10 Ounce Bag (Pack of 2)Wilton 710-039 Sparkling 5.25 oz Sugar Food Decorative- BlueAmscan 3900450 craft kit, Creates 24 Foam Snowmen (4 1/2Stick Snowman Ornament Craft Kit (1 Dozent) by FXFun Express Snowman and Snowflakes Photo Frame Magnet Craft Kits (Makes 12)12 – Snowman Stocking Ornament Craft Kit – Crafts for Kids & Ornament CraftsDress Your Own Snowman Kit
Don’t miss these additional fun Christmas Themed Crafts and Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Reindeer Treat Bags
- Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Peppermint Cupcakes
- Christmas Potpourri with FREE Printable
- Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Snowman
- Christmas Tree Krispie Treats
- Christmas Tree Strawberry Bites
- Grinch Fruit Kabobs
- Christmas Snack Mix
- Melted Snowman Water Bottle Labels with FREE Printable
- Reindeer Noses Treat Bags