I love crafting with the kids in the run up to the festive holidays. My Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornament is a fun and easy craft to do with kids. Get them to hang them on the Christmas tree, or you can give as a gift or use to adorn a wrapped gift.
Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornament/Gift Topper Craft
I treasure all of the handmade crafts that my children made for us every year. They also enjoy the memories as they pull them out of the Christmas containers to hang them on the tree every year.
This a fun craft for kids of all ages. Get them to make the trees and hang them on the tree. This is a great crafting activity for use in classrooms, on play dates, at Christmas parties, etc. Give as a little gift, or add to a wrapped gift to make it extra special!
In years gone by it was popular to hang sweets, candies and baked goods on the Christmas tree. These festive decorated Candy Cane Christmas Trees not only look great, but are a perfect sweet treat.
Once made, and the candy cane eaten, you can store the felt trees away, ready to decorate your tree the following year. Just add the candy canes and hang on your tree.
What you will need
- Felt Sheets – I’ve used green but feel free to use any color felt.
- Stars – use either printed and cut out, or simply cut out from construction paper, foam, etc.
- Tree decorations – colored jewels, beads, charms, or other assorted “ornaments”.
- Candy Canes – any flavor.
How to make Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Place a candy cane on a piece of felt to get a rough estimate of how large the Christmas tree should be.
- The candy cane “trunk” should be hanging off the edge of the felt by about an inch.
- Cut out a rectangle outside of the candy cane (mine was approximately 4 x 5 inches).
- Take the piece of felt and fold it in half and cut out the shape of a Christmas tree.
- With the felt still folded, cut 6 slits down the middle of the Christmas tree as shown.
- There should be three sets of 2 slits – only large enough to allow the candy cane to fit through.
- Once the tree is cut and candy cane fits through nicely, remove it to glue on the star and the “ornaments”
- I’ve opted for cherry flavored candy canes, but you can use any flavor, peppermint, strawberry, whatever flavor you enjoy.
- I’ve made green trees, like a traditional Christmas tree, but feel free to use any color of felt to make these ornaments.
- Ornaments can consist of colorful jewels, charms, beads, etc, so use any variety of decoration for the tree.
- Use school colors for the jewels, favorite team colors, add the giftee’s favorite hobbies to the tree in charm/bead form – such as little footballs, ballerina shoes, beach theme, etc.
- Allow the glue to dry before sliding the candy cane back in.
Don’t miss these additional fun Christmas Themed Crafts here at When Is Dinner:
- Reindeer Treat Bags
- Reindeer Noses Treat Bags
- Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Snowman
- Christmas Potpourri with Printable
- Rudolph Chow Snack Mix
- Christmas Tree Krispie Treats
- Christmas Tree Strawberry Bites
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Melting Snowman Water Bottle Labels with Printable
- Snowman Cupcakes
- Grinch Fruit Kabobs
- Felt Sheets
- Stars (either printed and cut out, or simply cut out from construction paper, foam, etc.
- Jewels, beads, charms, or other assorted “ornaments”
- Candy Canes
This a fun craft for kids – classrooms, play dates, Christmas parties, etc. Give as a little gift, add to a wrapped gift to make it extra special!
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing these Candy Cane Christmas Tree Ornament/Gift Topper in my own home:
flic-flac 28pcs 12 x 8 inches (30cmx20cm) 1.4mm Thick Soft Felt Fabric Sheet Assorted Color Felt Pack DIY Craft Sewing Squares Nonwoven PatchworkWestcott 13901 8eBoot 100 Gram Stars Confetti Glitter Star Sequins for Crafts DIY Nail Art and Party Decoration, Holographic SilverSelf Adhesive Craft Jewels Jumbo Bling Crystal Gem Stickers Assorted Shapes Colors Rhinestone Stickers for Arts & Crafts Projects Pack of 110Elmer’s Liquid School Glue, Washable, 7.625 Ounces, 6 Count – Great for Making Slime – E308NRBrach’s The Original Peppermint Candy Canes, 48 Count