Peanut Butter Blossoms
This Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe is very late in being shared with y’all!
Some of you long time readers may recall “The Great Cookie Bake” of 2016.
My husband is a senior manager for a large technology company, and we enjoy giving each of the employees he manages a gift for the holidays.
I like to make things personal, but also stay on budget, because there is A LOT of them.
They all know I cook and bake, and they enjoy treats I prepare for them from time to time, sometimes putting in special requests for their favorite items.
When we were in New Hampshire, the crew there loved my homemade cookies.
In 2016, we found some adorable cookie tins, so I decided to bake homemade cookies to fill the tins, as everyone’s gift.
Little did I know that in the days leading up the “The Great Cookie Bake” we would have days of power outages, the element in my oven going out & would require a special order, etc.
So, I ended up using mostly packaged mixes for that, due to lack of preparation time, but I did try to put my own secret personal touches on the packaged mixes.
You may recognize the Mixing Bowls in the photo above. I recommend them (and gift them) ALL the time. I seriously love them. We’ve had ours about 8 years, with heavy usage, and they hold up amazing (and dishwasher safe!). Also, wow, my kids have grown up SO MUCH since this pic 3 years ago!
Later, when I had more time, I baked the Homemade Versions, is significantly smaller quantities:)
In a medium bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, add peanut butter, softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
Beat to combine.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
Add the flour mixture to the peanut mixture one cup at a time, beating between each addition.
Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
After the dough has chilled, use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to scoop out dough and form each scoop into a ball.
Place white sugar in a small bowl and roll each dough ball in the sugar until coated.
Place each coated dough ball on the prepared baking sheet two inches apart to allow for spreading.
Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown and puffy.
Remove the cookies from the oven and press a Kiss into the center of each cookie.
Place the cookies back in the oven for 2 more minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS PREPARATION TIPS:
- You can refrigerate the prepared, covered cookie dough for up to 24 hours before baking.
- After removing from refrigerator, let the cookie dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften.
- When buying cookie sheets, measure the size of the interior of your oven. Make sure your new cookies sheets are at least 2 inches smaller than the inside of your oven. This will allow heat to circulate around the cookie sheets when you’re baking, ensuring a more even bake.
- Feel free to substitute the Hershey Kisses for any of your favorite candy bars! Reese’s, Hershey Bars, Heath Bars, Snickers, etc. they all work great!
The Hershey Bars allowed them to stack easier inside the cookie tins, but I mixed in Hershey Kisses for the top layer!
The tins also included Snickerdoodles, Homemade Sugar Cookies (cut with Christmas themed cookie cutters), Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Chocolate Dipped Pretzels (in Christmas Colors), Chocolate Dipped Oreos, and Cake Mix Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Chip Cookies.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar + 2 tbsp reserved
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 dozen Milk chocolate Hershey’s Kisses wrappers removed
- In a large mixing bowl, add peanut butter, softened butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat to combine.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all purpose baking flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the peanut mixture one cup at a time, beating between each addition.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- After the dough has chilled, use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to scoop out dough and form each scoop into a 1" ball.
- Place reserved 2 tbsp white sugar in a small bowl and roll each dough ball in the sugar until coated.
- Place each coated dough ball on the prepared baking sheet two inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown and puffy.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and press a Kiss into the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookies back in the oven for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe in my own kitchen:
OXO Good Grips Batter BowlOXO Good Grips Better Flat Wire WhiskBLACK+DECKER Lightweight Hand Mixer, White, MX1500WWilton 417-1112 Stainless Steel Cookie Scoop, SilverRachael Ray 47576 Nonstick Bakeware Set with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheets / Baking Sheets – 3 Piece, Gray with Agave Blue GripsReynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper – 60 Square FeetWilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and MoreThe Ultimate Peanut Butter Book: Savory and Sweet, Breakfast to Dessert, Hundreds of Ways to Use America’s Favorite Spread (Ultimate Cookbooks)The Great Peanut Butter Cookbook: Every recipe a peanut butter lover needs!Peanut Butter Goodness: Delicious Sweet and Savory Recipes that are Chockful of Peanut Butter Flavor!
Don’t miss these additional delicious Christmas Desserts here at When Is Dinner: