My Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with only 6 ingredients and they could not be easier to make. Quick to prepare and bake, they are ready in no time and with this versatile recipe the flavor combinations are endless.
Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
When I was little, my mom would occasionally make us Chocolate Chip cookies from a cake mix. We loved them, and they’re so easy to make! So I figured it was time I gave these a go at home.
In my area, boxed cake mixes often go on sale for around $1 per box. I like to save up my coupons to use when there is a sale, so I can get them at a fantastic price.
Of course my kids love any flavor of cookie, my Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies being a firm favorite. However, one of my boys does not like chocolate! For him, we make these delicious chocolate chipless cookies and he loves them!
However, I bake these Easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies when I’m pushed for time and I need an easy, tasty snack for them fast!
As well producing delicious cookies, this recipe is super versatile too. You can use any flavor cake mix and add any variety of chips. So, to help you out I’ve come up with some alternative flavor combinations later in the post.
How to make Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Scoop the cookie dough out using a full teaspoon and place onto the lined cookie sheet (the parchment paper helps prevent burning and stops the cookies sticking to the sheet).
- Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven and bake the cookies for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool a little before serving.
Chocolate Chip Cookie ingredients:
- CAKE MIX: I use a box of white cake mix as has a lovely moist texture.
- EGGS: two eggs are added to the cake mix to help form a thick cookie dough.
- OIL: I add vegetable oil to the cake mix to form the dough. You can substitute with any other flavourless oil, like sunflower oil.
- SALT: a pinch of salt is added which balances out the other sweet flavors in the cookie.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I add a cup of dark chocolate chips to the cookie dough, but you can use any flavor of chocolate chip, milk, white or even a combination like chocolate orange.
You can use any combination of flavors!
This recipe can be easily adapted to suit your own tastes, using different flavored cake mix. Here are some ideas:
- Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix and Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips
- Strawberry Cake mix with White Chocolate Chips
- Any flavor Cake mix and M&M candy
- White Cake Mix with Crushed Candy Bars (Heath, Snickers, Kit Kat, Nestle Crunch, etc)
- Chocolate Cake Mix with Crushed Oreos (Cookies N Cream)
- German Chocolate Cake Mix with Chocolate Chips
There are so many different cake mix flavors and types of chips available that it’s difficult knowing which cookie to make first.
I’ve seen some Holiday and Fall Flavors in the supermarket, which would make ideal holiday cookies. I’m also thinking of trying out a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies combination soon, ready in time for fall!
How to store chocolate chip cookies?
Once the cookies have been baked and cooled, place in an airtight container with a tight fitting lid. Store the container on the counter top for up to 5 days – although they never last that long in my kitchen!
Can you substitute butter for oil in cake mix cookies?
Yes, you can swap the oil for the same quantity of butter when making cake mix cookies.
Is cookie mix and cake mix the same?
No they are not, a cookie mix makes a thick cookie dough, whereas a cake mix makes a lighter cake batter. This recipe uses cake mix to make a quick batch of cookies, and the other ingredients help bind that cake mix to make a dough. Don’t use cookie mix in this recipe or the cookie dough will be too tough.
Don’t miss these additional Cake Mix Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Red Velvet Heart Crinkle Cookies
- Spring Whoopie Pies
- Oreo Acorns
- 2 ingredient Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- Dash of Salt
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
These are a few items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix White 16.25 oz BoxC&H, Cane Sugar, Dark Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie ScoopGood Cook Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie SheetUltra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads – Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling – Heavy Duty Commercial QualityAmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2Hershey’s Sugar Free Semi-Sweet Baking Chips – 8 oz – 2 pkNestle Butterscotch Morsels – 11 oz – 2 pkGhirardelli Premium Baking Chips, Caramel flavored, 10 oz, Pack of 2Hershey’s Kitchens Sea Salt Caramel Chips, 10oz (2 Pack)HERSHEY’S Cinnamon Chips, 10 OunceGurley’s Sweet Cherry Chips 10 oz. 2 BAGSAndes, Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips, 10oz Bag (Pack of 3)Ghirardelli Baking Chips, Classic White, 11-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)REESE’S Peanut Butter Baking Chips, Gluten Free, 10 Ounce Bag (Pack of 12)