This deliciously Easy Coconut Cream Pie combines a crispy pie crust with a creamy luxurious coconut custard filling. Made using a few simple ingredients this recipe is a must for anyone who loves coconut!
I find that coconut is one of those ingredients that really divides opinion. People either LOVE IT or HATE IT. My family LOVE it, and this simple coconut cream pie recipe is one they all enjoy and a real go-to recipe in my house.
Rich and creamy coconut cream fills this simple pie. You can either use your own preferred Homemade Pie Crust Recipe or if short of time use a pre-made store bought pie crust of your choice.
I love to get my kids helping out in the kitchen and as the filling is a case of mixing together a few store cupboard ingredients, my kids can help with the preparation. Recipes like this are ideal for helping kids become confident in the kitchen!
I’m a huge fan of easy recipes with simple ingredients and my classic coconut cream pie is fool-proof. Simple ingredients. Simple process. Delicious Coconut Cream Pie!
How to make my Easy Coconut Cream Pie Recipe:
- Start by placing the butter, sugar, eggs and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the ingredients together until they reach a nice lemony color.
- Add in the flour and blend well.
- Pour in the milk and beat well.
- Fold in 1 cup of coconut into the pie filling.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.
- Level the filling into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ coconut over the top of the pie.
- Bake for one hour, then remove from the oven.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- This recipe serves 8.
How to keep Coconut Cream Pie from becoming watery?
The combination of the flour and eggs are what thickens the pie filling and stops it from becoming watery. You can see from the process photographs above that my pie filling has a nice thick consistency. Once baked the filling should set nicely.
- If you love coconut and want to ramp up the flavor, then add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract to the pie filling.
- Lime and coconut are a great flavor combination so why not try something a little different. Grate the zest from one or two limes into the pie filling along with the coconut before baking.
- Add some chocolate chips to the coconut custard, for a coconut and chocolate cream pie.
- You can either make your own pastry to fill a 9-inch pastry case, or buy your favorite store bought pie crust.
- Feeding a crowd? No problem! This pie filling can be easily doubled or trebled to make multiple pies.
- Try toasting a little desiccated coconut in a hot skillet, taking care not to burn it. Then sprinkle over the top of the pie once it comes out of the oven. This will give another flavor dimension to the pie.
You can also try this amazing 3 ingredient pie crust if you want to make your own. You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to prepare, and it will get raving reviews from those who get to enjoy the pie!
Can Homemade Coconut Cream Pie be made ahead?
My easy coconut cream pie is a great make ahead dish, ideal for when you have family and friends coming around for dinner. Make a day ahead, that way you can relax when your friends are round, ready with a dessert to pull out of the refrigerator.
Once the pie has baked and has cooled completely place it in an airtight container, ensuring it is well covered. As the custard like filling contains both eggs and dairy you will need to store the pie in the refrigerator. However, it will stay fresh refrigerated for 2-3 days.
- I like to serve my classic coconut cream pie with just a sprinkle of desiccated coconut over the top.
- You can add a layer of whipped cream to the top of the pie once it has baked. Allow it to cool completely, otherwise the cream will melt, before whipping the cream and spreading or piping it over the top. Note this will make the pie top soften quite a bit.
- I prefer to leave the pie as it is and serve some whipped cream on the side. That way everyone can help themselves and have the pie the way they like it.
- Coconut cream pie with meringue topping is also very popular. Whip up the eggs with a little sugar to form a stiff meringue, then spread or pipe over the top of the baked and cooled pie. Next place the pie under the broiler to brown to the top of the meringue. Again, the coconut cream pie does need to be cool before you pipe on the meringue, otherwise the meringue will melt.
- Serve the pie warm from the oven and swap the whipped cream for a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Love Pies? Then don’t miss these delicious Recipes:
- Chocolate Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- Pumpkin Pie
- No Bake Reese’s Pieces Pie
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie
- No Bake Salted Caramel Chocolate Pie
- Pecan Pie Puffs
- Weight Watchers Mini Apple Pies
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust use your favorite homemade crust or store-bought
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup coconut flakes divided
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 4g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Coconut Cream Pie Recipe:
OXO 1169600 Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Set, White Bowls Brown Handles, Blue/Green/YellowBLACK+DECKER Lightweight Hand Mixer, White, MX1500WOxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula SetFarberware 5172565 Baker’s Advantage Ceramic Pie Dish 10-Inch TealUltra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads – Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling – Heavy Duty Commercial QualityTalisman Designs 1507 Adjustable Pie Crust Shield, BPA-free and Food Safe Silicone, Fits Rimmed Dish 8.5Mrs. Anderson’s Baking Ceramic Pie Crust Weights, Natural Ceramic StonewareOXO SteeL Pie ServerArt of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and LifeSouthern Baked: Celebrating Life with PieEasy as Pie: The Essential Pie Cookbook for Every Season and ReasonThe Pie Book: Over 400 Classic Recipes