Oven Baked Chicken Fried Steak is a deliciously tender and crispy dish made with cube steak breaded and cooked in the oven. This healthier version uses no oil and is easier to clean up. Top this crispy steak with a creamy homemade gravy and enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This easy weeknight meal will be your new family favorite.
Oven Baked Chicken Fried Steak
This chicken fried steak recipe is made by dipping the meat in an egg mixture, flour mixture, and seasoned breadcrumbs. It’s cooked on a baking sheet in the oven, which means there’s no need to clean up grease splatters from the stove and is much healthier for you. If this is your first time making chicken-fried steak, you’ll be shocked at how easy it is and how your whole family will love it!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, half the salt, and half the pepper.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs, remaining salt, and remaining pepper.
Whisk together the eggs and milk.
Dip each steak in the flour mixture.
Then the egg mixture.
Coat in the breadcrumbs.
Place the coated steaks on the prepared baking sheet.
Coat each steak with nonstick cooking spray on both sides.
Bake for 30 minutes, until the steak is cooked through and the breading is crispy.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the best chicken fried steak.
- Make a country gravy to pour over the steak to complete the meal.
- If you don’t buy cube steak, tenderize another cut of steak by pounding it with a meat mallet.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or homemade noodles.
- You can also cook the steak in a large pan on the stove. If you do, cook the steaks one at a time so they aren’t crowded in the pan.
- Sauté the chicken-fried steak in a pan and then finish cooking it in the oven.
- Add seasonings like garlic powder or onion powder.
- Baking powder makes the crust even crispier.
How To Serve Chicken Fried Steak
These steaks are excellent when paired with creamy white gravy or mashed potatoes.
How To Store Chicken Fried Steak
Refrigerate: Keep leftover steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: The best way to reheat this steak is to pop it back in the oven or air fryer. These methods will make the steak crispy again, as opposed to the microwave.
Freeze: You can freeze steak in large freezer bags for up to three months. To thaw, place the bag in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat using the oven or air fryer.
What cut of meat is used for chicken fried steak?
Cube steak is cut from top round or round steaks and is tenderized and flattened.
How do you keep the flour mixture from falling off the steak?
The best way to keep the flour from falling off the steak is to also use an egg mixture that will keep the flour and breadcrumbs on the steak.
What’s the difference between chicken fried chicken and chicken fried steak?
The difference between the two is the meat that’s used.
Chicken fried chicken is breaded and fried chicken, while chicken fried steak is breaded and fried steak.
- 3 cube steaks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, half the salt, and half the pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs, remaining salt, and remaining pepper.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip each steak in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs.
- Place the coated steaks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Coat each steak with nonstick cooking spray on both sides.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the steak is cooked through and the breading is crispy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 27g