These Red Heart Shaped Cookies require only FOUR ingredients and they can be baked and ready to eat in just 15 minutes. That makes them the perfect sweet treat this Valentine’s Day!
Cake Mix Red Heart Shaped Cookies
When it comes to a simple bake you can’t beat these Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies. Made with a red velvet cake mix, these Red Velvet Cookies only require another 3 simple ingredients that you will all have in your kitchens at home.
My Red Velvet Sugar Cookies require very little preparation and they are quick to bake in the oven. This makes them an ideal bake with younger children, who can help with mixing up the dough and then shaping the cookies.
Last year I shared a Cake Mix Red Velvet Crinkle Cookie Recipe that is slightly different from this one, but both could be cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter for an extra special touch to enjoy on Valentine’s Day, your anniversary, wedding shower, or even a wedding reception!
What is red velvet cake?
Red velvet cake is a moist cake that has a chocolate cake or a vanilla cake with added cocoa powder at its base.
How to make Heart Shaped Cookies
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375F degrees.
- Look out all your ingredients ready to start.
- Next, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, and eggs.
- The batter will firm up towards the end and be thick and sticky.
- Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, spoon the dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar to completely coat.
- Place cookie balls on baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Using a small bowl or cup, flatten the balls slightly so they spread out more while baking.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies have a hint of brown on the edges.
- Once baked, allow the cookies to cool on a wire cooking rack.
- Then once cooled, use a heart-shaped cookie dough cutter to cut out heart-shaped cookies.
Ingredients for Red Heart Shaped Cookies:
- RED VELVET CAKE MIX: I use a box of Betty Crocker red velvet cake mix as has a lovely moist texture. However, you can use any variety of red velvet cake mix.
- EGGS: two eggs are added to the cake mix to help form a thick dough.
- VEGETABLE OIL: is also added to the cake mix to form the dough. You can substitute with any other flavourless oil, like sunflower oil.
- POWDERED SUGAR: the raw cookies are covered in powdered sugar before being baked in the oven. It is the powdered sugar which gives the cookies their crinkled appearance.
What does powdered sugar do to cookies?
If you coat your cookies in powdered sugar before being baked, this will give your cookies the bumpy looking crinkled effect that you see here. The powdered sugar absorbs some of the moisture in the cookies giving this cracked effect and leaving you with deliciously chewy cookies.
I like to keep these cookies as they are as I like the crinkled cookie top. However, you can also add a drizzle of icing or some melted chocolate and finish with pink and red sprinkles.
Don’t let the scraps go to waste!
Nothing goes to waste in my kitchen, so here are some suggestions for using up the cookie scraps:
- Use the cookie crumbs to make a rocky road or fridge cake.
- Process the scraps in a food processor, mix with melted chocolate and some melted butter and turn them into red velvet truffles.
- Combine the cookie crumbs with popcorn for a yummy snack, adding some melted white chocolate and pink and red sprinkles!
- Add the crumbs to your favorite flavor of ice cream.
How to store heart shaped cookies:
Once these sugar cookies have been baked and cooled, place in an airtight container with a tight fitting lid. Store the container on the counter top for up to 5 days – although they never last that long in my kitchen!
- Take time to flatten out the cookies before you put them into the oven. This will help the cookies spread a little more once baked and give you a flatter surface.
- I recommend using more than one size of cookie dough cutter as this helps use up every scrap of dough and also gives you more cookies.
What is your favorite Cake Mix Cookie Recipe?
Don’t miss these additional delicious Cake Mix Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
- Strawberry White Choc Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Spring Whoopie Pies
- Peppermint White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake Roll
- 1 box of red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Cake Mix Red Velvet Heart Crinkle Cookies Recipe:
Wilton Comfort Grip Heart CutterMrs. Fields Silicone Scoop N Cut Cookie ToolOXO Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/YellowWilton Essential Cookie Baking Quality Value SetWilton Cookie Spatula