You’ll love this healthy, delicious Apple Pear Spring Salad Mix featuring crisp sweet apples, pears, mozzarella cheese, and cashews! It includes my easy to make homemade spring salad mix dressing that compliments this quick & easy salad that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
Apple Pear Spring Salad Mix
When spring and summer roll around, I tend to want to prepare more salads. That’s when my Spring Green Mixed Salad with Apple & Pear comes to mind.
I enjoy the lighter meals, but also the very fresh ingredients I can grab at our local Farmer’s Market or HEB Supermarket. This salad can be prepared in minutes and comes with my Homemade Spring Mix Salad Dressing Recipe which packs a real flavor punch.
We don’t like to eat the same meals over and over again, so I like to experiment and keep things fresh.
What is in a Spring Salad Mix?
Typically, a Spring Salad Mix consists of up of 16 fresh greens and lettuces that may vary in tastes and textures.
Often, it will include red romaine, baby spinach, radicchio, green romaine, red oak leaf, mizuna, red leaf, lollo rosso, arugula, red mustard, green mustard, red chard, frisee, and tatsoi.
I love a mixed salad, especially for lunch because the greens also have no cholesterol and very little sodium so they are considered heart-healthy. Greens are rich in nutrients, especially vitamin A, vitamin C, beta carotene, calcium, folate and dietary fiber.
How to make my Spring Mix Salad recipe:
- Wash the Spring Salad Mix and place into a large salad bowl.
- Chop the pears and apples and add them to the salad leaves.
- Shred the mozzarella cheese and measure out the cashews.
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl or jar; mix and set aside.
- Combine salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Right before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss, coating the lettuce evenly.
- Serve and enjoy!
- SALAD GREENS: I use bags of Spring Mix Salad for this easy green salad.
- CHEESE: I use shredded mozzarella cheese which doesn’t overpower the other flavors in the salad.
- NUTS: add either whole or halved cashews for great texture and added crunch.
- FRUIT: I dice 1 crisp red apple and 1 pear to add to my salad.
Spring Mix Salad Dressing recipe ingredients:
- SUGAR: is added to balance out the acidity in the salad dressing.
- ACIDITY: I use lemon juice for acidity but you could also use white wine vinegar.
- ONION: a finely chopped red onion flavors the dressing, you could also use green onions which also have a mild flavor. I would avoid a yellow onion as they are too strong.
- MUSTARD: use either Dijon mustard or brown mustard. Don’t be tempted to use yellow mustard as it is too strong and will overpower the other flavors in the salad.
- OLIVE OIL: use either regular or extra virgin olive oil.
- SEEDS: a teaspoon of poppy seeds adds great flavor and a pop of texture to the salad.
Ways to customize your Apple & Pear Spring Salad Mix:
- Greens: feel free to substitute or add in other salad greens such as romaine, spinach, kale, etc.
- Dressing: use the recipe included here, or substitute for a balsamic vinaigrette, honey mustard, etc.
- Nuts: we prefer this with cashews, but pecans, walnuts, almonds, or peanuts would also work.
- Fruit: use additional varieties of apples or pears, consider adding fruits like strawberries, grapes, dried cherries, dried cranberries, etc.
- Cheese: feta crumbles or Parmesan cheese are also favorite cheeses in this salad with our family. Goat cheese also works well as would some shredded cheddar cheese.
- Vegetables: try adding some diced cucumber and tomatoes
- Add In’s: sunflower seeds, pine nuts, McCormick Crunchy Salad Toppings, croutons, olives, chickpeas, and bacon bits.
Recipe tips for preparing and storing a Spring Salad Mix:
- Slice the apples and pears right before you serve it. Fruits can start to brown a bit where cut.
- The dressing can be made a day or two ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the dressing to any salad just before serving so it won’t wilt the salad by sitting too long.
- Leftover ingredients should be stored separately in the refrigerator. Mixed salad doesn’t save well, it wilts. Use a container specific for storing salad ingredients to take for lunch the next day.
- Salad does not freeze well.
- Be sure to PRINT this Spring Salad Mix Recipe so you can make your own notes on it about how you personalized it!
Don’t miss these additional delicious apple recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Apple Crisp (Traditional or Gluten Free)
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Weight Watchers Mini Apple Pies
- Green Apple Dumplings
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
- ½ c. sugar
- ⅓ c. lemon juice
- ½ c. red onion finely chopped
- 2 T. dijon mustard or brown mustard
- ⅔ c. olive oil
- 1 T. poppy seeds
- 2 5 oz. bags of Spring Mix Salad
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 c. cashews whole or halves
- 1 crisp red apple diced
- 1 crisp pear diced
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 19gProtein: 8g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Apple Pear Salad Recipe:
Large salad bowl. Mixing bowls. 14Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef’s Knife, 8 Inch, BlackPrepworks by Progressive Ultimate 19-Piece Measuring Cups & Spoon SetOXO Good Grips Salad Dressing Shaker, BlackOXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Large, ClearRaw Superfoods Salad Toppings Mix (Goji Berries, Raisins, Almonds, Chia, Flax, Pumpkin, Sesame and Sunflower Seeds) 24 ozFood52 Mighty Salads: 60 New Ways to Turn Salad into Dinner (Food52 Works)OXO Good Grips Salad Chopper and BowlFit & Fresh Salad Shaker Reusable Plastic Container with Dressing Dispenser and Ice Pack, Healthy Lunch Box Set, 4-Cup Capacity, BPA-Free