We enjoy salad for dinner at least once a week, and one of my favorite healthy salad recipes is my Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad. This easy chicken salad recipe includes grilled chicken and hard boiled eggs, making this a protein rich salad that will keep you fuller for longer.
Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad
My Simple Grilled Chicken Salad recipe is a firm favorite, if it’s grilling season I will warm up the grill. If it’s not, I warm up my George Foreman grill and cook indoors.
For a quick cook I season some thin chicken cutlets with salt & pepper, garlic powder, and a little dry rub, usually McCormick’s Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple Flavor. I like using chicken cutlets as they cook more quickly than a whole chicken breast.
When the grill is hot, I add the chicken to let it start cooking and set a timer for 5 minutes. Then once the chicken is cooked it’s simply a case of assembling the rest of the salad.
Grilling the chicken adds real depth of flavor in this Best Grilled Chicken Salad recipe. I like to finish the salad with a grating of fresh Parmesan cheese then you can add your favorite salad dressing just before serving.
This is a great fresh summer salad, perfect to serve when the sun is out!
How to make Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad:
- Season some thin chicken cutlets with salt & pepper, garlic powder, and a little dry rub.
- Grill chicken outdoors or using an indoor grill.
- Chop some mixed greens, kale, and spinach.
- Slice some small tomatoes in half and add those in.
- Add about 3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds.
- Add some McCormick Salad Toppings.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs and add them to the salad.
- When the chicken is done, slice it and add it to the top of the salad.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese to add to the top, and serve.
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe Ingredients:
- CHICKEN: I use chicken breast cutlets as they cook quickly on the grill.
- SEASONING: I season the chicken with a dry rub for chicken, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. For the chicken dry rub I like to use McCormick’s Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple Flavor.
- GREENS: I use a bag of mixed salad greens in this recipe.
- TOMATOES: You can use any variety of tomato, I like cherry tomatoes as they have a lovely sweet flavor.
- SEEDS: Sunflower seeds add great crunch to the salad.
- FLAVORINGS: I always add some McCormick Salad Toppings to this salad to add extra flavor and crunch.
- EGGS: Some hard boiled eggs add extra protein.
- CHEESE: I finish the salad with some fresh Parmesan cheese, this is a great strong cheese and you don’t need to add too much.
Flavor variations & substitutions:
- If using whole chicken breasts, cut them in half horizontally to create two thinner pieces which will cook quicker on the grill.
- Add extra iron to the salad greens by mixing through some kale or spinach.
- You can add a drizzle of your favorite salad dressing just before serving.
- Swap the sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds, or try a mix of both.
- There’s a lot of flavor in this easy grilled chicken salad, however you can add a drizzle of salad dressing if you wish.
- Add extra fruits and vegetables like cucumber, celery, green or black olives.
This is a healthy and delicious salad main and I serve it on it’s own. However, you can add some crusty bread or garlic bread if you wish.
Recipe hints & tips:
- Get ahead by grilling the chicken and boiling the eggs earlier in the day. Then all you need to do is layer up the salad when you are ready to eat.
- I wash my mixed greens, kale, and spinach, and place it in a Spin’n Stor Salad Spinning and Storage Bag. I spin it around to remove the excess water. I remove the greens and chop them on my cutting board. You can read more about how the Spin’n Stor Salad Spinning and Storage Bags work in my feature post.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a dry non-stick skillet for a few minutes to add and extra layer of flavor.
- If adding a salad dressing, don’t dress the salad until you are ready to serve, otherwise the salad greens will wilt and become soggy.
Yes, chicken is rich in protein and other nutrients and being a lean meat is lower in fat compared with other meat. Grilling the chicken is a great way to cook it, adding an extra layer of flavor, without any added fat.
I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for salads. Although rotisserie chicken that’s been de-boned and shredded also works great.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs also work well, as darker meats tend to retain more moisture and more depth of flavor.
I suggest storing each ingredient separately in its own airtight container in the refrigerator, for maximum freshness.
I do not recommend freezing salad.
However, you can prepare and cook the chicken cutlets in bulk, then allow to cool and freeze for up to 3 months. This is ideal for a quick meal another day, just defrost the chicken and add to the salad.
Don’t miss these great tasting salad recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Chicken Cutlets
- Mixed Greens, Kale, Spinach
- Sunflower Seeds
- McCormick Salad Toppings
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Parmesan Cheese
- Dry Rub for Chicken
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Season some thin chicken cutlets with salt & pepper, garlic powder, and a little dry rub
Grill chicken outdoors or using an indoor grill
Chop some mixed greens, kale, and spinach
Slice some small tomatoes in half and add those in
Add about 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
Add some McCormick Salad Toppings
Slice the hard boiled eggs and add them to the salad
When the chicken is done, slice it and add it to the top of the salad
Grate some fresh parmesan cheese to add to the top, and dinner is served!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 1433mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
These are a few things I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe:
George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, BlackMcCormick Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, 15.5-OunceMcCormick, Salad Toppins, Crunchy & Flavorful, 3.75oz Bottle (Pack of 3)Trader Joe’s Roasted & Salted Sunflower Seeds 16OzDutis 3-Piece Dishwasher Safe Plastic Cutting Board Set with Non-Slip Feet and Drip Juice Groove, White with Lime GreenJ.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Classic 8-inch Chef’s KnifeOXO Good Grips Egg Slicer, White/BlackZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater – NSF Restaurant CertifiedCertified International Corp Tuscany Salad/Dessert Plates, 9Totally Bamboo Salad Hands, 100% Bamboo Salad Servers
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but When Is Dinner will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs of running this site. We appreciate your support!