This Easy Apple Crisp is a go to dessert recipe as it is so simple to make. The sweet apple pie filling is topped with a crisp and buttery topping that I flavor with cinnamon, the perfect spice to pair with sweet apples. Serve warm straight from the oven with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream and watch all the family come running!
Easy Apple Crisp
I’ve made a Gluten Free Apple Crisp using gluten free all purpose flour and gluten free oats. However, if but if you’re not following a gluten free diet, just use the same quantities of regular all purpose flour and regular oats, it’ll turn out the same!
This Best Apple Crisp recipe requires just 6 ingredients, and aside from the apple pie filling, you are likely to have all the ingredients in your larder at home as they are store cupboard staples.
Hands on prep time is minimal, just 5 minutes. The entire dish can be prepared, cooked, and ready to enjoy in only 35 minutes.
The soft apple pie filling, topped with the buttery crisp topping with a hint of warming cinnamon, makes this the perfect quick and easy mid week dessert.
How to make Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 9×9 Baking Dish, pour in your homemade or canned apple pie filling in an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all crumble topping ingredients together.
- Spread the crumble topping evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake in your oven at 325 for approximately 25 -30 minutes until it’s warmed through and the topping is golden brown.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe Ingredients
- APPLES: For ease I use a can of apple pie filling or use your own homemade apple pie filling. If you have an Instant Pot, you can make my Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling.
- CRUMB TOPPING: I make the crisp topping by coming brown sugar with gluten free all-purpose flour and gluten free oats.
- SPICE: I like to add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the topping as cinnamon pairs really well with apples.
- BUTTER: You can use either salted or unsalted butter to bring the crisp topping ingredients together.
Fruit crisps are really versatile desserts and you can combine a variety of difference ingredients. Here are some suggestions to make this easy apple crisp recipe your own.
- If you don’t need to follow a gluten free diet you can use regular all purpose flour and oats.
- Swap the apple pie filling for other fruits, like pear, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, apricots.
- Try a combination of fruits, stir some blackberries through your apple pie filling mixture.
- Add a handful of dried fruits like raisins, sultanas or cranberries.
- I’ve added ground cinnamon to the crisp topping but you could also use ground ginger, apple pie spice, or a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add extra crunch to the topping with some crushed nuts like walnuts, pecans or almonds.
- Take the butter out the refrigerator to soften before making the crisp topping as it will be a lot easier to bring the ingredients together.
- I use a 9×9″ baking dish to bake the crisp as you don’t want it to overflow. If using an 8×8″ dish it may take a few extra minutes to be done all the way through. If using a 10×10″ dish it may cook faster.
- You can use round pans, square pans, whatever you have. Just keep in mind any adjustments you may need to make for pan size or oven variations.
Did you know you can also prepare an apple crisp using a slow cooker? This Crock Pot Apple Crisp from Wondermom Wannabe is so delicious. There are only five ingredients in this slow cooker apple crisp. It is a great way to use up apples so they don’t go bad. Give it a try this weekend!
This easy apple crisp is best served warm, straight from the oven. In my house, the guys love to serve a scoop of their favorite vanilla ice cream with it. However, you could add some custard, heavy cream or whipped cream, whatever your preference.
This is a dessert best served warm straight from the oven and I rarely have any leftovers! However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can reheat it either in a warm oven or pop it into the microwave to warm through.
Although very similar and containing the same ingredients, there is one key difference. A crisp contains oats and a crumble does not.
To make the crispest of crisp toppings you need to add enough butter, otherwise it will be floury. However, stick to the recipe and add just what is asked for, as too much can have the opposite effect and you will end up with a greasy, soggy topping.
The apple crisp is only in the oven for around 30 minutes so I don’t cover it with foil as I want to get the topping a nice golden brown color.
Don’t miss these additional delicious Apple Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Apple & Pear Salad
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Weight Watchers Mini Apple Pies
- Green Apple Dumplings
- Homemade Apple Pie
- 1 20 oz can of apple pie filling or 2.5 cups of homemade filling
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup gluten all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter softened
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Easy Apple Crisp Recipe in my own home:
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 2 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid, 8 x 8OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/YellowHeat Resistant Silicone Spatula Set – 4 Piece Non-Stick Rubber Spatula Set with Stainless Steel Core – 500F Heat-Resistant Spatula Kitchen Utensils Set for Cooking, Baking and Mixing – BlackOXO SteeL Pie ServerLenox Simply Fine Chirp 4-Piece Dessert Plate Set