BLT Salad Recipe
I enjoy salads year round, but during the Spring and Summer months I tend to eat them much more frequently, probably because I’m able to get fresher ingredients at our local farmers market during those times. This recipe for a Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad with Homemade Croutons is especially delicious, and a hit with my family. The recipe is for the salad with crispy bacon, shredded cheese, sweet tomatoes, and delicious, homemade, buttery baked croutons. While you can enjoy this BLT Salad with any dressing, I prefer ranch or honey mustard.
BLT Salad with Homemade Croutons
- 1 large head of lettuce romaine or green leaf lettuce recommended, washed and dried
- 10 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes washed and dried
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 of pound bacon thin cut
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup of butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Creamy salad dressing of choice for serving on the side buttermilk ranch or honey mustard recommended
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Tear the head of lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and add to the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Chop the raw bacon into bite sized pieces, then cook in the skillet, stirring occasionally (very carefully to avoid the hot grease), until the bacon reaches your desired level of crispness. Remove the cooked bacon from the frying pan and drain on paper towels until cooled to room temperature. Set aside.
- Place the whole wheat bread on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and garlic powder; stir well. Use a silicon pastry brush to brush the butter mixture over both sides of each slice of bread.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the garlic buttered bread into 1/2-inch squares. Scatter the squares across the baking sheet.
- Bake the croutons at 350F for 10 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Use tongs or a fork to flip each crouton, then return to the oven for another 5 minutes until golden brown on the second side. The croutons are done baking when they are golden brown on both sides and crispy. Transfer the croutons from the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Right before serving, toss the croutons and bacon into the salad.
- 10. Serve with creamy salad dressing of your choice on the side.
Makes 4 dinner size servings, or 6-8 side salad servings.
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this BLT Salad Recipe:
OXO Steel Salad SpinnerRaw Superfoods Salad Toppings Mix (Goji Berries, Raisins, Almonds, Chia, Flax, Pumpkin, Sesame and Sunflower Seeds) 24 ozSalad of the Day (Revised): 365 Recipes for Every Day of the YearSistema To Go Collection Salad Dressing Container, 1.18 oz./35 mL, Pink/Green/Blue/Purple, 4 CountOXO Good Grips Leakproof On-The-Go Salad Container