One of the kids favorite cookie recipes for me to make, are No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. These are also known as: Preacher Cookies, No Bake Sunbutter Cookies, No Bake Oatmeal Cookies, No Bake Chocolate Cookies, No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies, No Bake Nutella Cookies, and infamously (probably only to us) as Poop Cookies. Why that? Because of the oatmeal in these cookies that helps with constipation. One of the kids has suffered from chronic constipation his entire life, and we have to work diligently to ensure he gets plenty of fiber. He knows these cookies help him, so when his tummy is hurting, he’ll ask me to make him some poop cookies to help him out. I realize that is probably way TOO much information for many of you here to find a cookie recipe, but I am including it in hopes that it might help some other mom out there with a child suffering from similar issues. It should also serving as a warning, that you should exercise restraint when eating these, and limit yourself to one or two, particularly if you don’t eat as much fiber in your daily diet as you should 🙂
This particular recipe can be tricky, sometimes the cookies don’t want to set right. I have found that by using specific name brand ingredients, SALTED butter (not margarine), and paying careful attention to the timing, I have better luck getting these to turn out right. I prefer to use:
- Domino Sugar – I buy the big bag at Sam’s Club.
- JIF Peanut Butter (can substitute for Sunbutter, Nutella, Peanut Free Planet has links to other peanut alternatives for those allergic, etc. Chunky tends to make the cookies drier though!)
- Quaker Quick Cooking Oats
- Hershey’s Cocoa
- Watkins Vanilla Extract – I by mine at Amazon. When I was little my mom used this, she knew someone who sold it, I think, but I don’t know anyone who does, so this is where I get mine. I’ve heard it’s available in some stores now, too.
- Hood 2% Milk
- SALTED Butter (NOT Margarine)
- 1 Stick Butter (1/2 cup) NOT Margarine
- 2 cups Sugar
- ½ cup Milk
- 4 Tbsp Cocoa
- ½ cup Peanut butter (or Nutella, Sunbutter, etc)
- 2 Tsp Vanilla (Extract ok)
- 3 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
- Add the 1st 4 ingredients to a saucepan starting at medium heat to let the ingredients dissolve into liquids. Increase the heat until it is at a rolling boil.
- Keep at a rolling boil for a full minute.
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter (or substitution) and vanilla.
- Stir well until dissolved and then stir in the oats.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto wax paper, and let them sit until they are cool and set.
- *Note: Sometimes the recipe won't turn out right for people. For me, it was always when I used margarine or unsalted butter, or chunky peanut butter. You may have to make adjustments for altitude, humidity, etc. but using regular salted butter, boiling for a full minute and using creamy peanut butter (or substitution) should help!
Like this recipe? Be sure to PIN IT and Follow me on Pinterest! Karen Puleski – Kdkaren. Subscribe via Email, RSS Feed, or Follow me on Bloglovin so you don’t miss out on any delicious recipes!