This Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole Recipe is the perfect side dish for potlucks or holiday meals. Just toss the ingredients into the slow cooker, let it work its magic, then enjoy it’s cheesy deliciousness!
Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole
For many years I have baked Hashbrown Casserole in the oven, but as my family and menu grows, I sometimes need to free up oven space, so I decided to try my hand at making Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole.
It turned out fantastic, and the family loves it just as much as the oven baked variety.
Gather all ingredients
Prepare slow cooker with nonstick spray
In a large bowl mix all ingredients, reserving 1 cup of cheese, until well combined
Place in an even layer in slow cooker
Cook 4 hours on low
Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top
Cook for an additional 20 minutes
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Do I need shredded hashbrowns or diced cubed hashbrowns for Hashbrown Casserole?
Either type works just fine for Hashbrown Casserole. You could even use the bigger blocks (like McDonald’s serves) just chop them up first into smaller pieces. You could also use Tater Tots, if you really wanted.
Should the potatoes be fresh or frozen?
For slow cooker hash brown casserole, either will work fine, frozen may need some extra cooking time.
Want to make this casserole a full meal? Try adding in some proteins and/or vegetables, such as:
- Breakfast Sausage, Italian Sausage, or Kielbasa
- Diced Onions, Diced Celery, Green Peppers, Jalapenos, or Mushrooms
- Spices or Hot Sauce
- 3 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gather all ingredients.
- Prepare slow cooker with nonstick spray or crockpot liner.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients reserving 1 cup of cheese until well combined.
- Place in an even layer in slow cooker.
- Cook 4 hours on low.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
These are a few items I find helpful when I prepare Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole in my own kitchen:
Don’t miss these additional delicious Potato Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Homemade Potato Skins
- Philly Cheesesteak Potato Skins
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Loaded Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Roasted Potatoes & Chicken
- Homemade French Fries
- Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes