Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stew is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight meal. It’s made with browned ground beef, onions, baby carrots, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. Pour the ingredients into a slow cooker and forget it until dinner time.
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stew
This hearty ground beef stew is easy to make with minimal effort in the afternoon. It’s the perfect busy day soup! This frees you up to do other activities instead of spending time cooking dinner, This is truly a meal your whole family will love. Serve it with sliced green onion, homemade bread, or a green salad.
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet with the onion.
Grease the bowl of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add the ground beef and onion.
Place the carrots and potatoes in the bowl of the slow cooker on top of the ground beef.
Stir together the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, salt, and cornstarch mixture.
Pour the mixture over the top of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Stir to mix all the ingredients together and place the lid on the slow cooker.
Set to cook on low for 5 hours or high for 4 hours.
Use these tips and tricks to make this easy ground beef recipe.
- Be sure to cook the ground beef before adding it to the crockpot.
- Cut the vegetables into equal-sized pieces, so they cook evenly.
- Use beef broth or vegetable broth, not chicken broth.
- Use hearty vegetables like carrots, squash, or parsnips.
There are many variations you can make to this slow cooker hamburger stew.
- Make this recipe in a pot on the stove.
- Cook it in an instant pot.
- Add herbs like rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and oregano.
- Substitute the ground beef with stew meat or ground turkey.
How To Serve
This crockpot beef stew is a delicious soup that is best served on cold winter nights.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Store the stew in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: Heat up any leftover stew in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat until it’s lightly simmering.
You can also heat up an individual serving in a bowl in the microwave.
Freeze: Freeze this stew in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Allow the hamburger soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat up as normal.
How long should I cook slow cooker ground beef stew?
It takes about 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low in the crock pot to make this stew.
What kind of ground beef should I use to make stew?
The best ground beef to make this comfort food is 80/20 ground chuck or ground sirloin.
What are the best potatoes to use in a stew?
Use starchy russet potatoes or yellow potatoes for this hamburger stew.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely choppe
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 potatoes, cut into one inch pieces
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet with the onion.
- Grease the bowl of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add the ground beef and onion.
- Place the carrots and potatoes in the bowl of the slow cooker on top of the ground beef.
- Stir together the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, salt, and cornstarch mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix all the ingredients together and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set to cook on low for 5 hours or high for 4 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1260mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g