Chicken taco soup is a delicious and easy dinner made with flavorful broth, cooked chicken, taco seasoning, beans, tomatoes, and corn. Top it with tortilla strips, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro. This easy weeknight meal is perfect for throwing together when you’re short on time but still want bold flavors.
Chicken Taco Soup
This easy taco soup recipe is made in a large Dutch oven and filled with tender chicken, canned tomatoes, corn, and beans. Taco Tuesday has taken a fun turn with this delicious soup that the whole family will love.
It’s perfect for busy weeknights with your favorite toppings and a side salad or sliced homemade bread.
Add the chicken to a large stock pot with the taco seasoning, onion, and one cup of chicken broth.
Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to simmer.
Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
When the mixture begins to thicken, add the remaining chicken broth, along with the chili beans, diced tomatoes, and corn. Stir to mix.
Allow the soup to simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
These tips and tricks will help you make this creamy chicken taco soup.
- Use leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes so all the flavors combine.
- Eat this soup with tortilla chips, sour cream, or sliced avocados.
- Make this soup in a crock pot or pressure cooker.
Here are some options you can use to make changes to this easy chicken taco soup.
- Use regular diced tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes if you don’t want your stew spicy at all.
- Substitute the packet of taco seasoning with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Use ground beef or sausage in place of the shredded chicken.
- Make it creamy by adding cream cheese or a little heavy cream.
How To Serve
Serve this soup with your favorite side dishes.
Some great options include honey butter skillet corn, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, oven-roasted asparagus, or slow cooker brown sugar carrots.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Reheat: Heat up cold soup in a pot on the stove on medium-low heat. Add a little water if the soup is thick.
You can also heat up an individual serving in the microwave in 30-second increments.
Freeze: Freeze any extra soup in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to three months.
Allow frozen soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How can I cook the chicken for this soup?
Since this soup calls for cooked shredded chicken, you can cook it yourself in just a few minutes while cooking this soup.
Poach the chicken by putting raw chicken breasts into the pot with the broth and seasonings and simmer for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken, shred, and add it back to the pot.
Should I use canned corn or frozen corn?
Either canned or frozen corn will work great for this recipe.
What kind of beans are good for chicken taco soup?
This recipe calls for chili beans, but you can use pinto beans, black beans, or red kidney beans.
Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken taco soup is a delicious and easy dinner made with flavorful broth, cooked chicken, taco seasoning, beans, tomatoes, and corn.
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chili beans
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15-ounce can corn or 1 package frozen corn
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- Add the chicken to a large stock pot with the taco seasoning, onion, and one cup of chicken broth.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add the remaining chicken broth, along with the chili beans, diced tomatoes, and corn. Stir to mix.
- Allow the soup to simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 2942mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 24g