This deliciously creamy Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Bake combines chicken breast seasoned with spices and topped with cream cheese, green chili and shredded cheese. The whole meal is prepared in a matter of minutes before baking in the oven until golden and bubbly.
Green Chili Chicken Bake
There are so many delicious ways to serve and enjoy chicken dishes. This Green Chile Chicken Bake is one of my family favorite easy chicken recipes.
This simple Baked Green Chile Chicken dish is ideal for busy week night dinners as it can be prepared in a matter of minutes, then it’s over to the oven to do all the hard work.
My Creamy Green Chili Chicken Bake is a low carb dish that fits in for those on Keto, Paleo, Whole Food, Clean Eating, and Weight Watchers Diets, among others.
However, even if your not following a specific diet, this Green Chili and Cheese Chicken Recipe tastes amazing and will be a recipe you come back to again and again.
I hope your family enjoys this Lo-Carb Green Chile Chicken Dish as much as my family does!
How to make Keto Green Chile Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper, a pinch of garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder.
- Place the chicken into the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the remaining seasonings with sour cream, cream cheese, and green chilies.
- Spread this cheesy mixture evenly over each of the chicken breasts.
- Top each chicken breast with the shredded cheese.
- Place the dish into the hot oven and bake for 1 hour, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve immediately.
Green Chile Chicken Bake recipe ingredients:
- CHICKEN: I use 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breast filets but you can substitute with chicken thighs too, just adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- SEASONING: I use a combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin to season the chicken breasts. This seasoning blend is really adaptable, so if there is any flavor you don’t like then leave it out. Likewise, if you like your food really spicy you can add a little more chili powder for extra heat.
- SOUR CREAM & CREAM CHEESE: are softened and beaten together to form the creamy topping for the chicken breasts.
- GREEN CHILIES: 7 ounces of chopped green chilies are added to the cream cheese mixture, if you like your chili on the mild side, cut back on the chopped chilies. Likewise, if you like things spicy add some extra green chilies.
- CHEESE: 1 cup of shredded colby jack cheese is scattered over the chicken breasts to form a crispy cheese topping once baked. You could also use shredded Monterey Jack, cheddar, mozzarella or Parmesan cheeses if you prefer.
This recipe is easily adapted to include other flavors, here are some suggestions:
- MEAT: swap this chicken breasts for chicken thighs, or why not try this recipe with some pork loin chops instead.
- SPICES: vary the spices, add some smoked paprika; Cajun seasoning; red chili flakes; or ground coriander.
- HERBS: stir some fresh or dried herbs through the cream cheese mixture, basil, cilantro, parley and oregano would all work.
Top this deliciously Creamy Green Chili Chicken bake with your choice of garnishes: diced tomatoes; sliced black olives; and freshly chopped cilantro will all add a burst of freshness.
Serve these Keto Green Chile Chicken breasts with a dressed green salad and I always like to add a bowl of sour cream, so everyone can add an extra spoon to their plate.
Some fresh tasting salsas or a bowl of creamy guacamole would all work too.
For those diners not watching their carb count some crusty bread for mopping up all those delicious cooking juices. Or slice up the chicken and add it to some tacos.
How to store leftover Green Chile Chicken Breasts:
Leftover chicken breasts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to heat up place the chicken into an oven proof dish and place into a hot oven to warm through. Take care to cook only until hot, as you don’t want the chicken to overcook and become dry.
The chicken can also be cooled and frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, defrost thoroughly in the refrigerator and then heat up in a warm oven until piping hot.
Recipe hints & tips:
- I like to use a kitchen probe thermometer to check when meat is cooked. For chicken you are looking for an internal temperature of 165F. However, if you don’t have a thermometer don’t worry. Instead insert a knife into the thickest part of the chicken breast and just check that the juices run clear.
- As glass baking dish is ideal as the chicken will not stick to it, making the washing up a whole lot easier.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or even tripled up if you are feeding a crowd.
Don’t miss these and many other delicious Chicken recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Crispy Parmesan Chicken
- Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Easy Chicken Alfredo
- Cheesy Chicken
- Mexican Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Baked Chicken
- Buttermilk Chicken
- Instant Pot Poached Chicken
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad
Green Chile Chicken Bake
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 1 (7 ounce) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 585mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 46g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Green Chile Chicken Bake in my own kitchen:
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchPyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)Kizen Instant Read Meat Thermometer – Best Waterproof Ultra Fast Thermometer with Backlight & Calibration. Kizen Digital Food Thermometer for Kitchen, Outdoor Cooking, BBQ, and Grill!The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites: A CookbookTruly Mexican: Essential Recipes and Techniques for Authentic Mexican CookingEasy Chicken Breast Cookbook: 50 Unique and Easy Chicken Breast Recipes101 Quick & Easy Chicken Recipes