My Patriotic Berry Pie with Gluten Free Pie Crust, is filled with fresh strawberries and blueberries and topped with freshly whipped cream. This is one of those Easy Pie Recipes that is just bursting with fresh fruit flavors.
Patriotic Berry Pie
This Easy Patriotic Berry Pie reminds me on the flavors of summer so its the perfect pie to serve for Memorial Day or 4th July celebrations, or indeed at any gathering of family and friends over the summer months.
This Classic American Pie not only tastes incredible, but any time I serve it, guests always ask how long it would take to cook another one up! I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love this pie as much as I do.
My Patriotic Berry Pie is Gluten Free and made entirely from scratch. This pie crust recipe is my go-to gluten free crust recipe as the results are perfect every time.
Once the pie crust has been made, the pie filling takes mere minutes. I use fresh berries and NO jello unlike many similar recipes out there. Then finish the pie with some vanilla flavored whipped cream just before serving.
How to make Gluten Free Patriotic Berry Pie:
Prepare the gluten free pastry dough:
- In a food processor, add flour, sugar, xanthan gum and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add cold diced butter into food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, add egg, cold water and apple cider vinegar. Use a fork to beat the egg and mix.
- Pour egg mixture into food processor and pulse a few more times until dough is just moistened.
- Transfer the pie dough to a glass bowl and use clean hands to shape it into a ball, slightly flattened.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
Prepare the strawberry puree:
- While dough is chilling, add 1 cup of the strawberries to a food processor and puree.
- You can also use a fork to mash thoroughly.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, water and the strawberry puree.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 3 additional minutes, until the strawberry mixture begins to thicken and turn translucent.
- Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
Line the pie dish with pastry:
- Remove the chilled pie dough from refrigerator and place on counter for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer pie dough to a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and add an additional piece of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle.
- Transfer the dough to an un-greased pie pan and press into place – flattening the crust against bottom and sides as well as touching up any cracks.
- Trim off any excess crust and crimp or flute the edges.
- Cover the pie shell with a double layer of aluminum foil (including the edges) to prevent burning.
- Fill the pie with pie weights and blind bake at 375 degrees for about 25-28 minutes.
- Remove the pie weights and the foil and continue to bake until the crust is a golden brown, about an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow crust to cool for a minimum of 1 hour before filling.
Prepare the pie filling:
- While the crust cools, hull strawberries and slice in halves or quarters depending on size of the berries, and place in a large bowl with the fresh blueberries.
- Add the prepared strawberry glaze and carefully fold with a spatula until the berries are evenly coated.
- Fill the cooled pie crust with the berry filling, being sure to turn any cut sides to face down.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours to allow the berry filling time to set.
Prepare the whipped cream topping:
- Place heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer.
- Start mixing on low and then turn setting to high until cream is smooth, thick and doubled in volume.
- Add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a large star pastry tip and pipe onto pie.
- NOTE: fresh whipped cream is best used within 5 hours.
- Store the pie and whipped cream in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
Recipe ingredients for Gluten Free Patriotic Berry Pie:
Pie crust ingredients:
- FLOUR: I use a gluten free flour blend to make the pie crust.
- XANTHAN GUM: I have added 1/2 teaspoon to the pie dough, but omit it if your flour blend contains it alread.
- SUGAR: I used white granulated sugar in this pie crust to add just a touch of sweetness. You could also use superfine white sugar.
- BUTTER: unsalted butter is used to make the pie dough. Ensure the butter is cold and taken straight from the refrigerator cold, diced and added to the dough mix. If you use salted butter, omit the salt from the pastry crust.
- VINEGAR: I use ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar in my pastry dough. The vinegar stops the pastry crust from becoming tough and chewy.
Pie filling ingredients:
- BERRIES: I use a combination of strawberries and blueberries to make my pie filling. However, you can use any variety of berries that you and your family enjoy eating, for example raspberries and blackberries. I find fresh berries work best here as frozen berries contain too much water and the filling doesn’t set the same.
- SUGAR: I use white granulated sugar for the pie filling, you can also use superfine white sugar.
- CORNSTARCH: 3 tablespoons of cornstarch is added to the filling to help it set.
Whipped cream topping ingredients:
- CREAM: I use heavy whipping cream to make the whipped topping as it is easiest to work with. You can use regular heavy cream, just take care when whipping it as it can be over whipped really easily.
- SUGAR: 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar is added to sweeten the topping as it incorporates really well into the cream and cheese.
- VANILLA: I use 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to flavor the whipped topping. You can also use vanilla essence, but be aware that it doesn’t have the same depth of flavor as extract.
Can Patriotic Berry Pie by made ahead?
You can make the gluten free pie crust and pie filling earlier in the day. However, I recommend adding the whipped cream topping just before you are ready to serve. This will stop the cream from bleeding into the fruit filling.
How to store Patriotic Berry Pie?
Store the pie in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. I recommend storing the pie and whipped cream topping separately.
Recipe hints & tips:
- Always use cold butter straight from the refrigerator when making a pastry crust as you don’t want the butter to melt into the flour when you are working with it. The colder the butter the better the pastry.
- For the best results it’s important to rest the pastry in the refrigerator for an hour before lining the pie dish. Resting allows the butter to solidify within the pastry, making the pastry easier to handle and work with. It will also hold its shape better when in the oven.
- I use pie weights when blind baking the pie crust to stop the pastry from puffing up in the oven. If you don’t have ceramic pie weights, you can use some dried pasta or rice and it will do the same job. Just take care to line the pastry case with foil before adding the pie weights!
- This is a quick pastry to prepare, but if you are pushed for time, you can use a roll of store-bought ready made gluten free shortcrust pastry or a gluten free pastry case.
- Fresh berries really do make a big difference to the finished pie. Whilst you can use frozen berries, you need to defrost them thoroughly and I find they retain too much water and can be too mushy which can affect the set of the fruit filling.
Don’t miss these great tasting Sweet Pie Recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie
- Orea Cool Whip Pie
- Jello Pudding 3 Layer Pie
- Easy Coconut Cream Pie
- Lemon Pudding Pie
- No Bake Vanilla Pudding Pie
- 1 ¼ cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend contains it
- ¼ salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pie Filling:
- 6 cups strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 5gSugar: 37gProtein: 7g
These are a few items I use in my own kitchen when preparing this Patriotic Berry Pie Recipe:
Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Pie Dish, 9Silicone Pie Crust Shields (2 pack), Adjustable Pie Protectors, GreenOXO SteeL Pie ServerHamilton Beach (70730) Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper with Bowl Scraper, 10 Cup, ElectricPyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)Silicone Spatula, Stainless Steel Core Heat Resistant Non stick Rubber Spatulas, Set of 4Cuisinart 619-14 Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 1-Quart Saucepan with CoverOXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon WhiskGoodCook Classic Wooden Rolling Pin with easy roll bearingsMrs. Anderson’s Baking Ceramic Pie Crust Weights, Natural Ceramic StonewareChef’n StemGem Strawberry HullerWilton Master Decorating Tip Set, 55-Piece decorating tips, Cake Decorating SuppliesCake Boss 58678 Serveware Dessert Plate Set, 4 Piece, PrintLet’s Bake Fourth of July Treats! (Holiday Baking Party!)Patriotic Recipes: A Cookbook Full of Red, White and Blue and All American Recipes4th of July Recipes