When it comes to great tasting lemon desserts, you can’t beat my Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie. This easy lemon pie is made with a sugar cookie crust, filled with a zesty lemon pie filling, and topped with a vanilla flavored cream cheese whipped topping.
Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie
The Sugar Cookie Pie Crust in this Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie is SO EASY to make using a package of sugar cookie mix.
Nick has always loved Lemon Pie, it’s one of his favorite desserts. When we first got married, there was a store bought version that he loved, but the brand has since stopped making it.
I’ve been on a mission trying to recreate something close, and this Lemon Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust recipe he loves more than the old one!
This recipe is sure to be a hit at any gathering you take it to, and I hope you’ll share the recipe with your friends and loved ones!
I like making Sugar Cookie Crust Desserts and I’ve also made a crust from Nilla Wafers in my NY Style Cherry Cheesecake Recipe that would be a great substitute and delicious with this Easy Lemon Pie too.
How to make Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie:
How to make Sugar Cookie Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and prepare a 9-inch pie pan with non-stick spray.
- Add in the sugar cookie mix and the softened butter to a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the mix until it’s nice and crumbly.
- Take about 2 cups of the mix and pour it into the prepared pie pan.
- Save the rest and make a second pie or discard it.
- Pack the crust mixture into the pie pan and work it’s way up the sides.
- Place the pie dish into the hot oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once baked remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
How to make Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie Filling:
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Heat on medium-high heat until the mixture begins to boil and cook for about a minute longer.
- You know it’s ready when the mixture begins to get bubbles and thickens up.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, pour some of the saucepan mixture in with the egg yolks and whisk together.
- Then pour the mixture back into the saucepan and continue cooking.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled piecrust and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Cover the pie loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow it to set.
How to make Whipped Topping:
- Once the pie has chilled and the filling has set, take your mixing bowl and stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Once the bowl has chilled, add the cream cheese and beat until creamy.
- Now add the remaining whipped topping ingredients and mix until peaks form.
- Spread the whipped topping over the chilled pie and serve.
Recipe ingredients for Lemon Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust:
For the crust:
- CAKE MIX: I use a box of a packet of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix, you can also substitute with a similar brand.
- BUTTER: I like to bake with unsalted butter as it makes it easier to control the amount of salt in the crust. Take the butter out of the refrigerator to soften before you start baking.
For the pie filling:
- SUGAR: I use white granulated sugar for the lemon pie filling, you can also use superfine white sugar.
- CORNSTARCH: 1/4 cup of cornstarch is added to the filling to help it set.
- LEMON: both lemon zest and juice are added to the pie filling.
- EGGS: I add 3 egg yolks to the filling.
- BUTTER: again I use unsalted butter as I don’t want salt in the lemon flavored filling.
For the whipped topping:
- CHEESE: the topping is made with softened cream cheese. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator before you start baking, as it is much easier to incorporate into the other ingredients when soft.
- CREAM: I use heavy whipping cream to make the whipped topping as it is easiest to work with. You can use regular heavy cream, just take care when whipping it as it can be over whipped really easily.
- SUGAR: 1/3 cup powdered sugar is added to sweeten the topping as it incorporates really well into the cream and cheese.
- VANILLA: I use 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to flavor the whipped topping. You can also use vanilla essence, but be aware that it doesn’t have the same depth of flavor as extract.
Can Lemon Pie be made ahead?
This makes a great make ahead dessert, prepare the lemon sugar cookie pie earlier in the day and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
How to store Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie?
Once the pie has been prepared store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Leftover pie needs to be kept chilled in the refrigerator due to the high dairy content of the pie.
- The pack of sugar cookie mix makes enough for 2 pie crusts. I like to use the whole pack, I prepare and bake one pie crust then save the leftover pie crust mixture. Place it into a ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator an hour before you start baking and allow it to soften. It will make preparation of the pastry crust a whole lot easier.
- Likewise, remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator an hour before baking and allow it to soften. Once soft it will be a lot easier to incorporate into the whipped topping.
Don’t miss these great tasting Lemon Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Paleo Lemon Bars
- Easy Lemon Bars
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Orzo Pasta with Lemon Basil
- Lemon Turmeric Popsicles
- Crust :
- 1 packet Betty Crocker 17.5oz Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter - softened
- Pie Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- zest from large lemon
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Whipped Topping:
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 836Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 1gSugar: 65gProtein: 6g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Lemon Sugar Cookie Pie in my own kitchen:
Betty Crocker Baking Mix, Sugar Cookie Mix, 17.5 Oz PouchRose Levy Beranbaum’s Perfect Pie Plate, 9-Inch, Ceramic, BlueberryOXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Bladed Dough Blender and CutterOXO Good Grips Zester and GraterOXO Good Grips Plastic Measuring Cups, 6-Piece, BlackOXO Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown HandlesCalphalon 1943876 Classic Nonstick Sauce Pan with Cover, 2.5 quart, GreyOXO SteeL Pie ServerSalad/Dessert/Appetizer Plate Bone China 8 Inch Set of 2, Stackable Vintage Rose Plate – Unique Gift for Mother’s Day, Women, Wedding, Anniversary, Birthday and Holiday (Blue)