These Oreo brownies are so simple & easy to make. You can use the boxed mix OR homemade recipe of your choice. You can easily adjust the amount of Oreos included AND the amount of frosting to your personal preference.
Many years ago, we purchased a box mix at the Supermarket to make Oreo Brownies. They were a HUGE hit in our family. Unfortunately, the next time I searched for them at the store, we discovered they no longer sold them. I guess we were late to the party discovering them, and perhaps others were as well, so the brand discontinued them.
My kids still remember them though, and they ask for them from time to time. We’ve been experimenting with various recipes to try and replicate the deliciousness that we remember so fondly. We FINALLY found a recipe that we think hits the mark.
You can make this Oreo Brownies Recipe using your favorite box mix, my Homemade Brownies Recipe, or any brownie recipe of your choice as the base mix.
I typically use a 9×9 Baking Pan for brownies, but as the kids get older they all seem to want the edges. Additionally, my teenage boys seem to have trouble comprehending PORTION SIZES that are appropriate. So, I’ve started using one of the pre-portioned brownie pans. This allows everybody to get an edge piece AND makes them acknowledge what a proper portion size is. They still have to exercise SOME control in not eating multiple pieces, but does help 🙂
How to make Oreo Brownies:
There are a variety of ways you can make oreo brownies, and you can easily adjust the amount of oreos and icing that you use, to suit your personal preferences.
Many people like to include whole oreos in the bottom of the pan, then cover with brownie mix. For the purposes of this recipe, in our home we prefer to crush the oreos, and stir the crushed oreos in with the brownie batter. You can use big chunks, small tiny crumbs, whatever you enjoy! Once the batter is poured into the pan, we bake the brownies. Once baking is complete, but before they cool, we sprinkle a few additional brownie pieces on top of the baked brownies. Then, we mix and pour the icing over the top.
Tips and Variations for making Oreo Brownies:
- Don’t over mix your batter! Be sure to stir by hand and stop when ingredients are just combined.
- Use ANY flavor of Oreo Cookies to change up the flavor!
- Try adding chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or any flavored candy chips/chunks of your choice.
- Serve while warm with vanilla ice cream (add some chocolate syrup!)
- Make them into S’mores Oreo Brownies by tossing in some graham cracker crumbs & small marshmallows
- Try substituting Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for the Oreos
- Brownie Mix of your choice OR use my Homemade Brownies Recipe
- *Additional ingredients depend on the mix or brownie recipe you're following
- 10 Oreo Cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Milk
- Pre-heat oven to desired temperature for brownie recipe you'll be using.
- Prepare your boxed Brownie Batter OR Homemade Brownie Batter according to the instructions or recipe.
- Chop or crush the oreos.
- Mix most of the crushed oreos into the brownie batter, reserving just enough to sprinkle on top of the baked brownies.
- Bake according to brownie recipe instructions.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and milk.
- Stir until the combination is smooth with no lumps, and thin enough to drizzle over brownies.
- Drizzle over brownies using a spoon until all are covered.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
*Note, this pan is obviously not square, but it holds the same quantity as a 9×9 square pan. My local supermarket ran these as a special after Christmas for $2 a pan, so I bought several. I use them as gifts when I am making baked goods to share so the recipient doesn’t need to return my pan 🙂
How to store leftover Oreo Brownies:
If your brownie pan has a lid that fits tightly, you can just use that and store at room temperature for up to 4 days. If not, I cut into portion sizes and store in a rubbermaid container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If my kids are taking to school with lunch, I’ll put a cut slice in a ziplock bag and it can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator (with the rest of their lunch so they don’t forget it) and packed into their lunch bag.
How to freeze Oreo Brownies:
Oreo brownies CAN be frozen once baked! Once baked and cooled, just wrap the bars individually with Saran Wrap, place them in a Ziploc freezer bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw the brownies at room temperature when you’re ready to eat them, then serve and enjoy!