My Frankenstein Brownies are a great sweet treat for any Halloween party. You can either make them up in advance for everyone to enjoy, or bake the brownies earlier in the day and allow the kids to decorate the brownies themselves. This is a fun party activity for kids and adults alike!
I love making themed holiday desserts for parties! My Frankenstein Brownies are something I like to bake at Halloween. As not only are they fun to decorate, they taste great too.
When my kids were younger, I’d send them to school with some. Now that they’re in high school, these are deemed acceptable for holiday parties, but not for taking to school!
However, I do still send some Halloween Frankenstein Brownies when the PTA has special teacher parties.
How to make Frankenstein Brownies
- Prepare and cook the brownie mix according to box directions.
- Once baked, allow the brownies to cool completely before icing.
- Mix green food coloring into white frosting until the desired shade is reached.
- Spread a thin and even layer of the green frosting onto the brownies.
- Cut and carefully remove brownies from dish and place on a flat surface covered with parchment paper.
- Using the black gel decorating icing, add thin lines across the top of each brownie for hair.
- Next, draw a straight line (can be slanted and/or drawn with several lines across it) for the mouth.
- Add two eyes onto each brownie.
- Add a mini M&M for the nose.
- Break a small pretzel stick in half and insert a half into each side of the bottom portion of the brownie (just beneath the mouth).
Frankenstein Brownies recipe ingredients:
- CAKE MIX: for ease I use a box of Brownie Mix, you will also need the required eggs, oil and water as directed on box.
- FROSTING: use store bought White Frosting or use your own favorite homemade frosting recipe.
- DECORATION: you will need a combination of candy eyes, mini M&M’s, small pretzel sticks, green food coloring and black gel decorating icing to make these Halloween brownies.
- I’ve used a double chocolate brownie mix, but you can use any flavor of brownie mix or even a blondie mix. You are covering the brownies in frosting so the base color doesn’t really matter.
- Use your favorite homemade brownie recipe to make the base for these Frankenstein brownies.
- If you don’t have candy eyes, you can use the brown colored M&M’s or chocolate button candies.
- Use chocolate sprinkles for Frankenstein’s hair.
- Licorice or Rolo candies can also be used for the neck bolts.
Frankenstein brownies make a great addition to any Halloween party, and are great with a glass of ice cold milk (to help dilute some of the chocolate the kids will no doubt be eating).
Decorating these brownies also makes a great Halloween party activity. Make the brownies up earlier in the day and allow them to cool. Then the kids can decorate their own Frankenstein’s monsters when they arrive.
Recipe hints & tips:
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before attempting to decorate them. If the brownies are warm the icing will only melt and slip right off the cake.
- Get ahead and cook the brownies earlier in the day or even the day before.
- When cooking with kids, especially younger ones, don’t worry about achieving a “perfect” look, just enjoy making the memories together.
Once baked and iced, store the Frankenstein Brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. As the brownies are iced with frosting, you will need to keep the brownies in the refrigerator to stop the frosting from spoiling. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Don’t miss these other fun Halloween Themed Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Playdough
- Halloween Tic Tac Toe Printables
- Mummy Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bat Bites
- Mimi Mummy Pizzas
- 1 box Brownie Mix plus required eggs, oil and water as directed on box
- White Frosting your favorite homemade recipe or store bought
- Candy eyes
- Mini M&M’s
- Small pretzel sticks
- Green food coloring
- Black gel decorating icing
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g