This Easy Sopapilla Cheesecake recipe is perfect for a Cinco De Mayo Dessert, or for adding something extra special to dinner any day of the week! Not only does this cheesecake taste delicious, it’s super simple to bake too.
I first baked this cheesecake when I had friends visiting. One was celebrating their birthday and when I asked what kind of cake they wanted, the reply was a Sopapilla Cheesecake. I had never made one before, however, this Best Sopopilla Cheesecake has been made many times since.
My Easy Sopapilla Cheesecake recipe is made using layers of light and airy crescent pastry dough, filled with a rich and creamy cheesecake filling and topped off with a sweet and spicy cinnamon sugar topping which turns crisp when baked in the oven. This cheesecake is full of flavor and once you’ve tried a slice you’ll keep coming back for more.
What is Sopapilla?
Sopapilla is Spanish pastry, a quick fried bread that is light and airy and can be served salty or sweet. Sopapillas are thought to have originated in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
To save time in this recipe I have taken a short cut and replaced the sopapilla dough with 2 cans of crescent pastry instead. Crescent pastry is ideal as it has the right light and flaky texture for this dessert.
How to make Easy Sopapilla Cheesecake?
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a pan with non-stick spray.
- Line the bottom of the pan with one can of the crescent roll pastry.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth and spread this evenly over the pastry.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the remaining can of crescent rolls.
- Melt the butter and pour over the pastry crust.
- Mix the cinnamon and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together and sprinkle over the melted butter.
- Bake the cheesecake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
How to serve Sopapilla Cheesecake?
This cheesecake is rich and full of flavor so it really does not require anything added to it. Once it has baked and cooled, cut it into slices and serve it as it is, or with a little drizzle of runny honey if you like.
How to store Sopapilla Cheesecake Pie?
This cheesecake contains a lot of dairy, so once it has cooled slice it, place it into an airtight container and pop it into the fridge. Stored like this the cheesecake will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze any extra slices, enjoy half the cheesecake freshly baked and save the rest for later. Once cooled, slice the cheesecake into bars and pop into an airtight container. Leave the bars in a single layer, do not be tempted to pile them up or they will freeze together. Kept like this they can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Ready for a sweet treat any time you fancy.
Tips for making Baked Sopapilla Cheesecake:
- This is a great make ahead dessert, ideal for those times when you have friends for dinner and want to get ahead of the game. Prepare this cheesecake the day before and pop it in the fridge. Take out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving to allow this dessert to come to room temperature.
- No special equipment required this simple dessert is baked in an oven proof tray. A disposable foil tray can be used to cut down on washing, or if visiting friends with a gift of dessert.
- Freeze the cheesecake in individual portions ready to take out of the freezer any time you want a sweet treat.
- Best served warm so to reheat, pop the sopapilla cheesecake bar onto a plate and microwave for 30 seconds to warm through.
If you enjoy cheesecake, why not try some of these other great tasting recipes:
- Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brownie Cups
- NY Style Cherry Cheesecake
- 3 8 oz packages Cream Cheese
- 2 cups sugar divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray pan with non-stick spray
- Line bottom with one can of crescent rolls
- Mix cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and Vanilla Extract until creamy and smooth
- Top with remaining can of crescent rolls
- Melt Butter
- Mix Cinnamon and Remaining 1/2 cup sugar
- Pour butter over top crust
- Sprinkle Cinnamon/Sugar Mix over melted butter
- Bake for 45 mins
- Cool completely before serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g