This delicious Chocolate Cake Roll with Cream Cheese filling is sure to impress your friends. Despite appearances, this favorite childhood bake is secretly very easy to make!
Chocolate Cake Roll with Cream Cheese filling
My chocolate cake roll, also known as a Chocolate Swiss Roll cake, is irresistible to anyone who loves chocolate. This nostalgic chocolate cake is based on the classic jelly roll cake, only the sponge cake is chocolate flavored rather than vanilla and the jelly filling is replaced by a richly delicious cream cheese filling.
If you’ve never made a roll cake before, it can seem intimidating, but I encourage you to give it a try. It’s a lot easier than you might first think! This recipe is pretty simple, combining soft and fluffy chocolate flavored sponge with a cream cheese filling.
My Chocolate Cake Roll using cake mix is super simple. For ease I use a boxed Chocolate Cake mix. However, instead of following the directions on the box, follow the instructions I’ve detailed below as the ingredients that I add in make the cake easy to roll.
How to make my Chocolate Cake Roll recipe:
How to make the Chocolate Cake Roll?
To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350F.
Mix together your cake mix, eggs, water, and oil.
Beat on low for one minute scraping sides down with the mixer.
Pour the batter into your prepared jelly roll baking pan, place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back.
Once baked turn the cake upside down onto a large piece of clean parchment paper sprinkled with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar; carefully remove parchment paper or silicone baking mat from the jelly roll baking pan.
While hot, carefully roll up cake and parchment paper.
Place on a wire cooling rack and cool for one hour.
How to make Cream Cheese Filling?
Meanwhile, make the cream cheese filling by mixing together the cream cheese, butter and sugar.
Using an electric hand whist, mix on high until well combined. The filling should have a smooth and thick texture with no lumps.
Now fill the Chocolate Roll Cake:
Gently unroll the cake and spread the inside with the cream cheese filling.
Carefully roll the cake back up and place is seam side down on a plate.
Dust with a little extra powdered sugar if you want.
Slice, serve, and enjoy!
How do you roll a Swiss Roll Cake?
Rolling a Swiss roll cake is a lot easier than you might think and is always best done when the cake is still warm, just out of the oven. Start by inverting the warm cake onto a large piece of baking parchment that you have dusted with powdered sugar – this helps stop it from sticking.
Next gently peel the baking parchment or silicone mat from the bottom of the cake, taking your time so you don’t rip the cake.
Now lift up the short end of the cake and gently roll the cake up. Do not be heavy handed and press down on the cake or you will end up with deep cracks on the cake.
Once rolled up, place the rolled up cake onto a wire rack and allow it to cool completely – at least an hour. While you get on with making the cream cheese filling.
I love the balance of the thick cream cheese filling with the sweet and fluffy chocolate sponge cake. However, you can get really creative with the filling and here are some ideas to get you started:
- whipped cream and some of your favorite berries, like strawberries, blueberries or blackberries, chopped up with a little powdered sugar
- vanilla, chocolate or espresso coffee flavored butter frosting
- whipped cream with crushed Oreo biscuits
- a layer of vanilla frosting topped off with a layer of your favorite fruit jelly
- Don’t under or over bake the sponge! The cake won’t roll right if its too wet or too dry.
- An electric whisk makes light work of beating the cake batter together.
- Use full fat cream cheese to make the cream cheese filling. I like to use Philadelphia which has a great tasting, thick consistency, which is ideal for making frosting.
- Always roll the cake when it is warm as it makes the job a whole lot easier!
- Cool the cake completely before filling it – a warm cake will only melt the filling, leaving you with a soggy mess!
- If the cake cracks a little when you’re rolling it up, don’t worry, when you add in the filling, that helps hide any imperfections.
Can I make Chocolate Cake Roll ahead of time?
This is a great cake to make ahead, ready to serve up when you have guests round. Simply bake and fill the cake then place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
It’s important that you store this cake in the fridge as filling contains both cream cheese and butter which will go off if left on the counter top.
Can I freeze Chocolate Cake Roll?
You can freeze chocolate cake roll really easy. Bake and fill the cake as normal, then cover the cake with clingfilm and place it in an airtight container. It can be frozen for 1-2 months. When ready to serve defrost thoroughly before serving.
- 6 eggs
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350.
- Line a 10x15x1-inch Jelly Roll Baking Pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Mix together your cake mix, eggs, water, and oil.
- Beat on low for one minute scraping sides with a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Pour batter into your prepared jelly roll baking pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back.
- Turn cake upside down onto a large piece of clean parchment paper sprinkled with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Carefully remove parchment paper or silicone baking mat from the jelly roll baking pan.
- While hot, carefully roll up cake and parchment paper.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for one hour.
- Mix together cream cheese, butter and sugar.
- Mix on high until well combined.
- Unroll cake
- Spread cream cheese filling over the cake.
- Roll cake back up.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe:
KitchenAid KB6NSO12MF Classic Nonstick 12-Cavity Regular Sized Muffin Pan BakewareReynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper – 60 Square FeetAmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2OXO 1169600 Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown Handles, YellowKitchenAid KHM512IC 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Ice Blue