My Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips are a favorite bake in my home. These Easy Banana Bread Muffins are easy to make and ready in minutes, so a simple bake for every level of baker.
Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
My crew loves to eat Homemade Banana Bread, and these especially moist chocolate chip muffins are my take on a Banana Bread Muffin and are a great way for me to use up overripe bananas.
These Easy Banana Bread Muffins with added chocolate chips take minutes to prepare and are baked in no time. This makes them a great bake with young children if you want to have some fun in the kitchen.
I enjoy making these Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins at night, because our mornings are so hectic. The kids can grab a muffin and go in the morning.
These Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins are a great nutritious choice for them to take! You can freeze them, store them in the fridge or eat them at room temperature. Even microwave for 10 – 15 seconds to get that oven baked fresh taste. These banana chocolate chip muffins are so easy and delicious!
The most overripe bananas make the best banana bread!
Bananas seem to go from green to rip very quickly these days, so I’m always looking for ways to use up those that are very ripe.
I’ve found the best banana muffins and banana breads come from the most overripe bananas. The browned, overripe and speckled bananas, are best for baking.
How to make Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, beat the egg with a fork until the white and yolk are combined.
- Now in a further bowl mash the bananas up with a fork.
- Add the mashed banana and melted butter together and mix well to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir with a spatula just until combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into 12 muffin tins lined with paper cupcake liners.
- Place the muffin tin into the hot oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- The tops of the muffins will be golden brown when they are ready, so remove the tray from the oven.
- Finally remove the muffins from the tin and place onto a wire cooling rack until ready to enjoy.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins ingredients and flavor variations:
- FLOUR: I use all purpose flour for these muffins.
- BAKING SODA: is used in this recipe to help the muffins rise.
- BUTTER: you can use either salted or unsalted butter, either will work.
- EGG: I use 1 large egg in this cake batter.
- BANANAS: 3 large overripe bananas are peeled and mashed and add the sweetness in these muffins, so no refined sugar is used.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I use 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use milk or white chocolate chips too. Or how about a combination?
Additional flavor variations:
In my family we like chocolate chip banana muffins, but you can also use other flavors. Try peanut butter chips, dried berries, or nuts.
If baking with the kids let them choose their own flavor. Make up the batter, spoon it into each paper muffin line and the kids can choose their favorite ingredient and toss in right before baking. Use a small spoon to stir them in while they’re in the muffin cups.
Can Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins be made ahead?
Yes, as they store well you can make ahead (see below for more information). What I like to do is make the cake batter up the night before and place it into a piping bag. I then store the muffin batter in the refrigerator until I am ready to bake the muffins.
This makes it real easy to bake fresh muffins for breakfast when I get up in the morning.
How long can you store muffins?
Once baked and cooled, place the muffins into an airtight container and store on the counter top for 3-4 days, assuming they last that long (they rarely do in my kitchen).
Can I freeze muffins?
Yes, muffins are easy to freeze and store well. Once baked and cooled, place the muffins into an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to eat, remove the muffins from the freezer and defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
- You can easily grease the muffin tray with butter, but I prefer to use paper muffin liners. This makes getting the muffins out of the tray a whole lot easier.
- As these muffins are so simple to bake, why not prepare one batch to enjoy now and make a second batch to cool and freeze for another day.
- To make Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins swap the all purpose flour for gluten free all purpose flour and ensure the chocolate chips you are using are also gluten free.
Don’t miss these other great muffin recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream Muffins
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Muffins
- Healthy Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Chunky Monkey Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 large overripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-PieceOXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon WhiskOxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula SetWilton Recipe Right Muffin Pan, 12-Cup Non-Stick Muffin PanAmazonBasics Reusable Silicone Baking Cups, Pack of 12Solula 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Cupcake Muffin Scoop, 3.4 Tablespoon Cupcake Muffin Batter Dispenser, 2-YEAR WarrantyTovolo Cupcake ScoopWilton 2103-1112 Scoop-It Batter Spoons, Set of 3