This homemade cornbread is so easy to make, and is the perfect way to round out your dinner. Add in some melted butter and drizzle with honey for an extra special treat!
I love cornbread.
Growing up, it’s the bread that we frequently had accompanying our dinner most nights.
We’d cut out a piece, slice it open, slide in a bit of butter to melt, and devour it.
My own kids really enjoy eating it too, and since they’re growing tweenagers, I usually make two pans at a time.
In addition to sliding butter into each slice, we like to drizzle a little bit of honey over the top, for an extra special treat.
The recipe calls for a regular baking pan, because not everyone owns a cast iron skillet.
However, if you have a cast iron skillet, I recommend using that.
Cornbread in a cast iron skillet is SO GOOD!
I melt butter in the skillet and use it to coat the bottom and sides, instead of using non stick spray.
Also, I prefer to make my cornbread with buttermilk instead of regular milk.
Either will work, but it’s hard for me to find buttermilk in a small container.
I use it frequently, so the larger quantity doesn’t go to waste.
If you can’t get a small bottle, regular milk will be fine 🙂
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup of whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 1/4 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375'F
- Spray your pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, egg and butter.
- Using Hand Mixer. mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Add in flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Pour your mixture into your prepared pan.
- Place into your oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for about 25 minutes on until golden on top.
- Use a tooth pick and stick it in the middle and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- For best results, Allow to cool about 5 minutes and Serve warm.
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing Homemade Cornbread in my own kitchen:
OXO Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown HandlesSilicone Spatula, Stainless Steel Core Heat Resistant Non stick Rubber Spatulas, Set of 4Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Square Cake Pan, Will Heat Evenly for Years of Quality Baking, 8-inchesWilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Mini Loaf Pan, 8-CavityOXO Good Grips Batter BowlWilton 2103-1112 Scoop-It Batter Spoons, Set of 3Tovolo Cupcake ScoopKitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk – Contour Silver
Don’t miss these additional bread recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Strawberry Bread
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Blueberry Breakfast Bread
- Homemade Pumpkin Bread