One Pot Chicken and Vegetable Stew
During the winter, we often enjoy eating hot soups, stews, and chili recipes.
At least once a week, I leave one of these in the slow cooker while we’re at a sports practice, so we have a hot & ready meal to enjoy when we get home.
I usually prepare this Chicken and Vegetable Stew Recipe in my dutch oven, because I am a big fan of One Pot meals.
However, if it’s a crockpot night, I just cook the chicken, then toss it all in the slow cooker on low in the morning, and thicken it later in the day, if needed.
It’s a pretty versatile recipe, you can add, subtract, exchange the vegetables to your family’s preferences.
This Chicken and Vegetable Stew Recipe is also DELICIOUS served with Sprite Biscuits.
If you haven’t tried them yet, I encourage you to do so soon.
They’re SO easy to make using just 4 ingredients!
Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 1 small can green beans
- 4 red potatoes quartered (peeled or not)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus small amount for seasoning
- 16 oz Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper plus small amount for seasoning
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- Parsley if desired
- In a large pot, heat the Olive Oil.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper.
- Place the chopped chicken breast meat in the hot oil and cook through.
- Place the chopped onion, carrots, celery, green beans and potatoes in the pot with the cooked chicken.
- Cook until softened.
- Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season the vegetables
- Add Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours on medium low heat.
- If stew is not thick enough for your preference, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch at a time with a small amount of leftover broth until dissolved, and add it to the stew. I've added up to 3 tbsp of cornstarch if a batch is thinner than I'd like.
- If serving with biscuits, break the biscuits into small bite-sized pieces and put on top of the stew.
- May garnish with parsley, if desired.
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Chicken and Vegetable Stew Recipe:
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Blue Enamel Dutch Oven (Blue)Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch Chef’s FFPSoup Crocks with Handles, Ceramic Make, Soup, Chilli, by KooK, 22oz, Set of 4 (Red)Nessie Ladle Green
Don’t miss these additional delicious Chicken Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Tuscan Chicken with Penne Pasta
- Chicken Fajita Pasta