My Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Taquitos are quick and easy to prepare, and taste absolutely delicious. Corn tortillas are filled with shredded chicken that’s been coated in your favorite BBQ sauce, and Monterrey jack cheese. The tortillas are then rolled up and cooked in the air fryer until crisp and golden.
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Taquitos
These easy chicken taquitos are essentially a rolled up taco, filled with shredded chicken (or indeed any other meat) and cheese, before being fried in the air fryer until golden and crispy.
Shredded chicken taquitos make an easy appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce. Or add some salad, salsas and re-fried beans and they make a great main dish too.
This is my best chicken taquitos recipe as it’s made with cooked, shredded chicken, which cuts down on preparation time. I often double up the recipe for parties, or games day, when I have a crowd of hungry diners to serve.
Taquitos are traditionally made with corn tortillas which are gluten free, so this also makes them suitable for celiacs or anyone following gluten free diet. Just check the BBQ sauce label to ensure it’s gluten free too.
- TORTILLAS: I use corn tortillas to make taquitos.
- CHICKEN: for ease I use cooked and shredded chicken. You could use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken from the weekend’s roast dinner.
- SAUCE: I use BBQ sauce both to flavor the chicken and as a dipping sauce for the taquitos once they are cooked.
- CHEESE: I fill the tortillas with shredded Monterrey jack cheese.
- OIL: I spray nonstick cooking spray over the taquitos before cooking in the air fryer.
How to cook Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Taquitos
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
Place the tortillas between two damp paper towels and heat them in the microwave for 2 minutes.
While the tortillas are warming, stir together the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce.
Place a thin layer of shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla.
Top with shredded cheese.
Fold once side of the tortilla over the cheese, then roll up the tortilla.
Secure the end in place with a toothpick, if needed.
Place each tortilla in the basket or tray of your air fryer.
Work in batches, if needed, to keep from overcrowding the tray.
Coat all the taquitos in nonstick cooking spray and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve with additional BBQ sauce for dipping.
- Swap the shredded chicken for beef, lamb or pulled pork.
- Feel free to replace the meat with some sauteed vegetables, like bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and red onions.
- I used Monterrey jack cheese, but you could also use pepper jack, a sharp cheddar, or Swiss cheese.
- Spread the corn tortillas with some cream cheese before adding the chicken and rolling up.
- Stir some extra spices into the chicken, like smoked paprika, cumin, onion or garlic powder.
- Add chili heat with some pickled jalapenos, sliced red chilies, or add some ground chili or red pepper flakes to the chicken.
- Add leafy greens like spinach or kale to the tortilla.
Air fryer BBQ chicken taquitos make a great appetizer or main meal. If serving as an appetizer I serve 2/3 per person along with a dipping sauce, like the BBQ sauce I have used here. You could also serve it with hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, tomato ketchup, or a sour cream and chive dip. Use any flavor dipping sauce that you and your family enjoy eating.
If serving as a main dish, allow 4 per person and serve with a variety of refried beans, salad, salas and other toppings (see some suggestions for toppings in the FAQ section below).
Recipe hints & tips
- Prepare the chicken taquitos earlier in the day, roll them up and place in a covered bowl in the refrigerator. Then when ready to eat, all you need to do is spray the taquitos with cooking oil and cook in the air fryer.
- Place the taquitos in a single layer in the air fryer basket with a little space around each, to ensure they fry rather than steam.
- This recipe is easily doubled up if feeding a crowd, just ensure you work in batches and avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket.
– shredded cheese
– fresh salsas – tomato, mango, sweetcorn
– shredded lettuce
– sour cream
– plain Greek yogurt
– lime crema
– wedges of lime
– sliced jalapenos
– pickled red onions
– sliced green onions
Taquitos are traditionally fried, but you can bake them in the oven if you prefer. Roll up the tortillas, place on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking oil. Then place the baking sheet into a hot oven at 425 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
The difference is the type of tortilla that is used. Taquitos are made with corn tortillas, whereas flautas are made with flour tortillas.
Leftover taquitos can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to reheat, place back into the air fryer to warm through and crisp up again.
Yes, taquitos are easily frozen. I like to assemble the taquitos and freeze them before they are cooked. Roll up and place on a baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for one hour. Then remove the sheet and place the taquitos in a freezer bag, or airtight container and place pack in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready bake in the air fryer from frozen, giving the taquitos a quick spray of oil before cooking. You will need to add additional cooking time if cooking from frozen.
Try some of my favorite Mexican inspired dishes here at When is Dinner
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Tacos
- Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Beef and Bean Burritos
- Sopapilla Cheesecake
- Taco Pasta Bake
- Mexican Chicken
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- BBQ sauce for dipping
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Place the tortillas between two damp paper towels and heat them in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- While the tortillas are warming, stir together the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce.
- Place a thin layer of shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Fold once side of the tortilla over the cheese, then roll up the tortilla.
- Secure the end in place with a toothpick, if needed.
- Place each tortilla in the basket or tray of your air fryer.
- Work in batches, if needed, to keep from overcrowding the tray.
- Coat all the taquitos in nonstick cooking spray and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is approximate and for guidance only.