This Homemade Slow Cooker Chili is the perfect dinner for cool fall nights.
Slow Cooker Homemade Chili
Last week, with the onset of Fall, I just had to make some Homemade Chili in the slow cooker.
First, I chop my Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno, and add them to a saute pan to cook. Feel free to add a dab of butter to get them going. I saute them until the onions are clear.
Meanwhile, I am browning the ground beef and sausage in another skillet. I crumble them together, and when they are done, you can’t tell what’s what.
While that’s all cooking, I add ALL of the cans into my slow cooker. I have a large slow cooker (for those who asked, it’s a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 Qt, I included a link to it here and at the bottom of the post. I’ve had it for several years, it was a Christmas Gift), and this fills it to the brim. The best thing about this, is you can tweak it to your preferences. Like it thicker, use larger cans of paste (I use the small ones) or add an extra small can. Likewise, you can omit one of the cans of sauce if it’s too much. Same with the beans. I use two of each, but you could just as easily reduce or increase that number, according to your preferences.
The first night I serve it, we’ll usually eat it straight, sometimes over rice, with chili on top, and maybe some cornbread. A day or so later, we’ll have Chili Dogs for dinner 🙂 Because this makes so much, I freeze the leftovers in my Rubbermaid Containers, and I can usually get 2 additional meals out of it. During the fall/winter, we typically have this twice a month, so it’s pretty economical when you consider I get 4 dinners for 5 people out of each batch!
- One Medium Onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 mushrooms chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage we prefer maple
- 2 cans Chili Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans Tomato Paste basil, oregano preferred
- 2 cans chili beans
- 2 cans light kidney beans drained
- 2 cans dark kidney beans drained
- 1 can Rotel
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Chop Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno
- Add them to a saute pan to cook
- Brown Ground Beef & Sausage together in a skillet
- Pour beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, and dash of worcestershire into Slow Cooker
- Add Vegetables and Meat Mixture to Slow Cooker
- Set Slow Cooker on Low and let it cook for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with crackers, or over rice.
- Top with cheese, if preferred.
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this Slow Cooker Chili Recipe:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener with Easy Push Down Lever, Opens All Standard-Size and Pop-Top Cans, Black and ChromeSoup Crocks with Handles, Ceramic Make, Soup, Chilli, by KooK, 22oz, Set of 4 (Red)DOWAN 23 Ounces Porcelain Bowls Set, Cereal, Soup, Pasta Bowls, Set of 6, Colorful DesignChili Slow Cooker: 50 All Time Favorite Easy And Delicious Chili Slow Cooker RecipesThe Chili Cookbook: Easy and Tasty Recipes of the SouthwestSoups Stews & Chilis
Don’t miss these other delicious Slow Cooker Recipes from When Is Dinner:
- Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Chili
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Ham