This White Bean & Turkey Chili is made in the Crock Pot and couldn’t be easier to make. Even better there are ZERO Weight Watchers Points!
I like to shop the sales after Thanksgiving, so a Crock Pot Turkey Breast Recipe that can be cooking away while I’m out is a great solution. I like to make this White Bean Turkey Chili in my Slow Cooker and then get on with the rest of my day, happy in the knowledge that there is a tasty and nutritious dinner to look forward to at the end of the day.
My family gets tired of eating just plain turkey, or turkey and dressing, so I try to find new recipes to use it in. If you’re like me, you have plenty of leftover Turkey that you need to use. So this delicious and easy to prepare Crock Pot White Bean Turkey Chili is a great way to use up leftovers.
This Healthy White Bean Turkey Chili is not only a great way of using up leftover turkey, but easy to prepare and cook as my own pantry is always stocked with a variety of canned beans. An added bonus is that my White Bean Turkey Chili is Weight Watchers friendly.
Why is it called white chili?
My White Bean & Turkey Chili is also known as White Chili. It is called white chili as it is made with white meat, usually chicken or turkey and not beef. It is also made with white beans, like the cannellini beans I’ve used here and mild green chiles rather than hot and fiery red chiles.
How to make my Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Chili recipe:
- Place oil, bacon, onion and garlic in a large crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cover and heat on high for approximately 10 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add the beans, corn, turkey, green sauce, herbs and broth.
- Stir well then cover the pot and cook on high for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (on low 2-3 hours).
- Season to taste with spices, and then cover and allow to cook for 15 more minutes before serving.
What are white beans called for chili?
The white bean used in white chili are cannellini beans. These canned beans should be easy to find in your local supermarket. They are a great tasting bean, packed full of fiber and nutrients and they keep their shape and texture during cooking. Making them the ideal choice for this slow cooked white bean & turkey chili dish.
Recipe ingredients & flavor variations:
- TURKEY: I like to make this recipe using leftover roast turkey, but don’t feel like you need to cook an entire turkey before you start cooking. You can use ground turkey instead, just make sure you cook it first before adding to the pot. You can also substitute with leftover roast chicken.
- WHITE BEANS: I have used canned cannellini beans, not only do they taste great but they are really filling too. You could also substitute with other white beans like a lima beans.
- CANNED CORN: adds flavor and crunch to the chili and pairs really well with the other flavors in this white bean and turkey chili.
- GARLIC: adds a depth of flavor to the chili sauce.
- ONION: adds flavor to the chili sauce, you can use yellow or white onion.
- BACON: adds a base of flavor to the chili sauce, you can use either regular or smoked bacon, depending on what you have in the refrigerator.
- CANNED GREEN SAUCE: Mexican green chili sauce adds the mild chili heat to this white chili. Green chili sauce is milder and not as hot and fiery as a red chili sauce so it balances out better with the turkey rather than overpowering it.
- BROTH: you can use either turkey or chicken broth in this easy white chili.
- SPICES: the chili is flavored with cayenne pepper and paprika which add a little spice, rather than a fiery heat that you would get from powdered chili.
- DRIED HERBS: dried oregano and dried thyme add a burst of herbal flavor to the chili. Both of these herbs taste great with white meats like turkey and chicken.
- Don’t have a crock pot or slow cooker, no problem. This easy crock pot white bean and turkey chili can also be made on the stovetop! Just add all the ingredients to your stockpot, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and let it simmer away for 30-45 minutes until you are ready to serve!
- If you don’t have any leftover turkey or chicken it’s worth checking your supermarket rotisserie counter. I’m lucky as my local supermarket has prepared turkey breast as well as whole chicken available at the rotisserie counter.
My Crock Pot White Bean & Turkey Chili makes a great dinner any night of the week. It also makes a great potluck dinner with friends.
I like to serve mine as a thick and hearty soup with a side of crusty bread. You don’t need much more as this is such a filling and nutritious dish. Alternatively replace the crusty bread with some steamed rice instead. Finishing the chili with a spoon of sour cream on top just before serving if you like.
Can Turkey White Bean Chili be made ahead?
This Crock Pot white bean and turkey chili is a great make ahead dish. Simply cook the chili and allow it to cool completely before placing it in a container with the fitted lid. Place the container in the fridge for up to 3 days until you are ready to serve.
When ready to enjoy place the white bean and turkey chili into a large pot and place on the stove over a medium/high heat and warm through until piping hot.
Can I freeze Turkey White Bean Chili?
White bean and turkey chili can be easily frozen. Simply cook the chili and allow it to cool completely before spooning it into a container with a tight fitting lid, and placing in the freezer. This white bean chili will store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
When ready to eat defrost the chili thoroughly overnight in the refrigerator before warming up in a pot on the stove.
Don’t miss these additional delicious Soup Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup with Chicken and Rice
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 strips bacon chopped
- 2-15 oz cans white beans
- 1-8 oz can corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey
- 1-3 oz can Mexican green sauce
- 5 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Chili:
Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)Soup Crocks with Handles, Ceramic Make, Soup, Chilli, by KooK, 22oz, Set of 4 (Red)Elephant Soup Ladle Stand Up Adorable Scoop 4 oz Per Cute Gift Not Nessie – Orange LadleSlow Cooker Soup Cookbook ***Large Print Edition***: Easy Crock Pot Soup RecipesHearty Slow Cooker Soups & StewsSlow Cooker Soup Cookbook: Easy Crock Pot Soup Meal RecipesFix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!