My Jumbo Pumpkin Sugar Cookie is a family favorite bake at this time of year, and the ideal fall baking activity with kids. This giant cookie is very easy to make, and is sure to be a hit at any Halloween Party!
Jumbo Pumpkin Sugar Cookie
I love fall, and the harvest season. When things are in full swing, I find myself looking for fun food ideas to use for fall and Halloween parties, and to take as a donation for teacher luncheons or dinners.
Now that my kids are all in middle school, they won’t be having class parties anymore, but when their friends have parties, I don’t like to send them empty handed. This is something that’s fun and easy to make, even with teenagers!
I love to bake with my own kids, and this is a great bake for kids of all ages. However, to make this easier for little kids to help with, I used a pouch of sugar cookie mix, which is easy for them to make on their own and takes a lot less preparation.
You can also make Giant Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with your favorite recipe, try my Homemade Sugar Cookie Recipe – it’s very easy to make and SO DELICIOUS!
I hope you will give this easy recipe a try for your next fall or Halloween party, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone.
How to make a Giant Pumpkin Sugar Cookie
- Begin by following the directions on the package you choose, just make one giant cookie instead of several small ones.
- If you have a homemade sugar cookie recipe, you can use that as well, just follow the same steps. It should bake around 13-15 minutes.
- Press the prepared sugar cookie mixture out into a circle on a pizza pan.
- Place into the hot oven to bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden and cookie is set.
- Remove the jumbo cookie from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the jumbo cookie is cooked, slice off the top of the cookie, like you would for a Jack O’Lantern, and then trim off the bottom so it’s flat, like a pumpkin.
- Then, slice off a small section of the bottom part that you removed, to use later as the stem for the top of the cookie (see photo above).
- Mix the butter until smooth, then add vanilla extract, milk, orange food coloring and powdered sugar. Stir until icing is thin, but not runny.
- Spread the icing all over the top of the cookie and the top section that you removed earlier.
- Now lightly frost the stem portion, and roll it in green sugar crystals. You need the icing to make the sugar stick.
- Place the cookie together on a serving plate as pictured below.
- For the final steps, all you need to add is the candy eyes and chocolate chips for the nose and mouth. You can be as creative as you want to be.
- COOKIE BASE: For ease, I use a pouch of store bought prepared sugar cookie mix. Or you can follow my Homemade Sugar Cookie Recipe.
- BUTTER: You can use either salted or unsalted butter to make the icing for the cookie.
- SUGAR: This recipe uses powdered sugar in the cookie icing.
- VANILLA: I use vanilla extract to flavor the cookie dough as it has depth of flavor. You could also use vanilla essence but it is not so intense.
- MILK: Use any variety of milk for icing.
- COLORING: You will need orange food coloring for the icing.
- DECORATION: You will need chocolate chips, candy eyes and green sugar crystal to decorate the pumpkin sugar cookie.
- Add a touch of pumpkin spice to the cookie mix.
- Don’t have pumpkin spice, then use some of your favorite fall spices like ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or cloves.
- I’ve used ready made candy eyes, but you can make your own with some fondant icing and a little black food coloring.
- If time allows, you could also make individual pumpkin cookies, just split up the cookie dough and adjust the baking times.
- I’ve made a giant pumpkin cookie, but you could use this recipe to make other cookie shapes, eg try a snowman shaped cookie for Christmas, or for the Easter holiday make the Easter bunny.
I love to serve this giant pumpkin sugar cookie at fall or halloween parties. I set it out and allow the kids to break the cookie up. It tastes great with a glass of ice cold milk.
If serving this to children at a holiday party, consider offering the adult guests a delicious candy corn martini! The Candy corn infused vodka and butterscotch schnapps combination is sure to be a hit!
Recipe hints & tips:
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan to start baking and allow it to soften at room temperature.
- Try and work quickly, so that you don’t need to chill the cookie dough.
- Prepare the jumbo cookie on a round pizza pan instead of a cookie sheet.
- Once baked, place the sugar cookies on a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- When cooking with kids, especially younger ones, don’t worry about achieving a “perfect” look, just enjoy making the memories together.
What I love most about this recipe is how quick it is to make, there is no need to chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator. Instead make the dough, shape it and get it into the oven.
Once baked, cooled and the decoration has set, place the giant pumpkin sugar cookie into an airtight container, if you have one large enough. Alternatively, wrap in clingfilm and a layer of kitchen foil. Store at room temperature, on the counter top for up to 5 days.
Don’t miss these other fun Halloween Posts here at When Is Dinner:
- Scarecrow Treat Bags
- Frankenstein Brownies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Playdough
- Halloween Tic Tac Toe Printable
- Mummy Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bat Bites
- Mini Mummy Pizzas
- Oreo Acorns
- 1 Pouch sugar cookie mix prepared
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Orange food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- Candy eyes
- Green sugar crystals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 0g
These are a few items that I find helpful in my own kitchen, when making this Jumbo Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Recipe:
OXO Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown HandlesSilicone Spatula, Stainless Steel Core Heat Resistant Non stick Rubber Spatulas, Set of 4Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Pizza Crisper Pan, 14-Inch Pizza PanWilton Halloween Black and Orange Sprinkles and Icing Set, 6-Piece — Black and Orange Icing, Black and Orange SprinklesWilton Candy Eyeballs,0.88 Ounce,Count of 50Wilton 710-048 Pearilized Sugar Food Decorative, Emerald, 5.25 ozThe Cookie Companion: A Decorator’s Guide100 Party Cookies: A Step-by-Step Guide to Baking Super-Cute Cookies for Life’s Little CelebrationsHalloween Cookie Cookbook: Delicious Spooky Recipes for HalloweenFall Leaves Cookie Cutter Set with Recipe Book – 3 piece – Maple, Oak and Teardrop Leaf – Ann Clark – US SteelHalloween Recipes: Fun, Creepy, and Easy Recipes for Adults and Kids