For your next Halloween party you have to try my Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats. I decorate the Rice Krispies Treats with green icing, licorice, candy eyes, and colored icing gel to create these goulishly scary monsters. Sure to be a hit at any kids party table!
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
No Halloween party would be complete without my Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats. When they were younger, my kids would love making and decorating these monster cakes, as much as decorating the house and yard!
I usually make my rice krispie treats from scratch, but when time is short (or I get a great price at Sam’s Club to buy in bulk) I’ll use pre-made treats. It’s so easy to open the package, grab a can of icing, and just decorate some treats.
The pre-made treats are also excellent for using in classroom parties. You can get all the supplies ready and pass out the treats to students so they can decorate their own Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treat.
How to make Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Mix a few drops of green coloring into the frosting and frost the top of each Rice Krispies Treat.
- Cut licorice pieces into about ¼ inch rounds so you have two for each head.
- Cut 12 licorice pieces in half lengthwise so you have 24 pieces of hair.
- Lay 3 pieces of licorice hair at the top of each treat, and press 2 eyeballs on each one.
- Draw a little red scar above one eyeball with the red gel, and draw a mouth on each with the black gel.
- Put a dab of frosting on each bolt and press one on each side of the treats so that they line up about where the eyeballs are.
- Enjoy these great little spooky Frankenstein treats for your next Halloween party!
- BASE: I use 1 pack of Rice Krispies Treats to form the base of the monster.
- FROSTING: use store bought White Frosting or use your own favorite homemade frosting recipe.
- DECORATION: you will need a combination of black licorice pieces, green food coloring, black and red decorating gel and a pack of round candy eyeballs to decorate your Rice Krispie Treats.
- I’ve used a pack of ready made Rice Krispies Treats, but you could also make your own homemade rice krispies treats.
- Use milk chocolate Rice Krispie squares.
- Swap the Krispies, and decorate some of your favorite chocolate brownies instead.
- If you don’t have candy eyes, you can use the brown colored M&M’s or chocolate button candies.
- Use chocolate sprinkles for Frankenstein’s hair.
- Rolo candies can also be used for the neck bolts.
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats make a great addition to any Halloween party, and I like to serve them with a glass of ice cold milk.
Decorating Rice Krispie Treats also makes a great Halloween party activity. Set out the ingredients and let the kids decorate their own Frankenstein’s monsters when they arrive.
Recipe hints & tips
- If you plan to let the kids decorate the Rice Krispie Treats themselves, especially younger ones, don’t worry about achieving a “perfect” look, just enjoy making the memories together.
As the Rice Krispies are iced with frosting, they are best stored in the refrigerator to stop the frosting from spoiling. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Don’t miss these other great Halloween Themed Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Pumpkin Spice Playdough
- Halloween Tic Tac Toe Printables
- Mummy Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bat Bites
- Mini Mummy Pizzas
- Jumbo Pumpkin Sugar Cookie
- 1 pkg. Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 pkg. Black Licorice Pieces
- 1 Can White Frosting
- Green Food Coloring
- Decorating Gel—Black and Red
- Round Google Eyeballs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing these Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats in my own kitchen:
Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies Treats® 24/1.3 oz. BarsWiley Wallaby Australian Gourmet Style Black Licorice Candy 32 Oz. 2 LB (Original Version)Festival Candy Eyes Treat Toppers, 2.9 OunceWilton Candy Decorating Supply Set, 4-Piece – Candy Icing PensWilton Black Gel Tube, 0.75 Oz.3 Tier Server Stand with Trays & Bowls – Tiered Serving Platter – Perfect for Cake, Dessert, Shrimp, Appetizers & More