French onion dip is a deliciously creamy party favorite dip recipe made with just 3 ingredients!
French Onion Dip
When it comes to planning out appetizers and dips for a party or gathering, French Onion Dip is a classic that most party guests ravish.
It’s versatile enough to be served along with potato chips or vegetables.
This version of the recipe includes just 3 main ingredients, and assembly is simple and easy.
Easy French Onion Dip Ingredients
- Sour Cream: I’ve found that full fat Sour Cream works best for dips, allowing it to mix and blend with the other ingredients.
- Cream Cheese: I use regular Kraft Cream Cheese Blocks when making dips, and this will need to be at room temperature so it mixes easier.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix: This is the third main ingredient in this recipe, and we always have a package in the pantry, making this an easy dip to whip up!
- Dried Onions: For extra onion flavor, reach into your spice cabinet and pull out some dried onion flakes to stir into the mix.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to your taste preferences.
French Onion Dip Variation Suggestions:
While most of the ingredients in the main recipe are fairly standard, sometimes you might find that you’re missing an ingredient that you need to make a substitution for, or just want to include some additional ingredients.
I am a huge proponent of personalizing recipes to your personal taste preferences!
Here are some suggestions to help inspire your creativity when making French Onion Dip:
- Greek Yogurt – I have substituted this in for Sour Cream in a pinch, and can also work instead of cream cheese.
- Mayonnaise – This also works as a substitute for either cream cheese or sour cream.
- Herbs and Spices – If you’d like to easily add some additional flavors, consider mixing in some herbs and spices. Suggestions can include: Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Rosemary, or Thyme.
- Spice it up – To add some spicy flavor, add some hot sauce and red pepper flakes!
- Add diced ham or chicken.
- Onions: Caramelized Onions are a BIG HIT when added to this dip!
- Garlic: I keep diced garlic in the refrigerator. If I’m sauteing onions to caramelize them, I’ll usually add in some diced garlic as well.
- Worcestershire: I love adding worcestershire to any recipe I can 🙂
To begin, gather all ingredients.
Combine the cream cheese and sour cream in a mixing bowl.
Stir in the package of Onion Soup Mix.
Add in any additional spices and seasonings, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let it set, then serve!
How to Store Leftover French Onion Dip:
Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 Dry Onion Soup Envelope
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 pinch Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Pour sour cream into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream.
- Sprinkle in the onion soup.
- Mix well.
- Serve with chips and enjoy!
Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld and the dried onion to soften. Store in the refrigerator for 5–7 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Easy French Onion Dip Recipe:
Don’t miss these additional delicious Dip and Sauce Recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Homemade Spicy Ketchup
- Easy Fry Sauce
- Dill Pickle Dip
- 6 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce
- Mississippi Sin Dip
- Homemade Tartar Sauce