This Anti Inflammatory Golden Milkshake is made with almond milk, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon, all great ingredients for reducing inflammation. Not only does this milkshake taste delicious, but it’s good for you too!
Anti Inflammatory Golden Milkshake
As someone who lives with an autoimmune disease on a daily basis, I am finding it increasingly important to find anti inflammatory foods and recipes to incorporate into my diet.
Personally, I am limited due to an array of food allergies. However, that doesn’t stop my trying to incorporate small changes when and where possible.
I believe that is the best place to start, introduce foods and make changes as you go along, rather than try and change everything at once which can be overwhelming.
If you or someone you know also deals with inflammatory issues, I hope you’ll give this anti inflammatory golden milkshake a try, and see if it helps improve symptoms.
You can also add or swap the ingredients, to fit your personal needs, as necessary.
My tasty golden milkshake that is full of goodness and flavorful too.
Why does Golden Milkshake help with inflammation?
The main ingredients in my milkshake are ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper and each of these ingredients have anti inflammatory properties. I blend these spices with almond milk as dairy free milks also help to reduce inflammation.
What milks are anti inflammatory?
Dairy milk is considered to be inflammatory, whereas non dairy milks are anti inflammatory. I have used almond milk in my milkshake, but you could also use soy, coconut, hemp or oat milks. I suggest that you use the non dairy milk that you enjoy drinking yourself.
How to make Anti Inflammatory Golden Milkshake?
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until everything is well incorporated.
- Divide between two glasses and enjoy immediately.
Anti Inflammatory Golden Milkshake ingredients & substitutions:
- ALMOND MILK: I use almond milk as that is my favorite non-dairy milk. However, you can use any other non-dairy milk that you like to drink.
- BANANA: I add one overripe banana to my milkshake as they are rich in nutrients and full of fiber.
- CARROT: Adding a carrot to the milkshake not only adds to your 5-a-day, but carrots are extremely nutrient rich and full of Vitamin C.
- GINGER: Fresh root ginger has been used for many years and is know for its health properties. It has been used to aid digestion and also helps reduce nausea.
- TURMERIC: Turmeric is rich in curcumin which can help in controlling inflammation.
- CINNAMON: Cinnamon is anti inflammatory and well known for its benefits in reducing blood sugar levels.
- NUTMEG: Ground nutmeg has a whole host of health benefits from anti inflammatory properties, to relieving pain soothing indigestion and aiding insomnia.
- BLACK PEPPER: Full of anti-oxidants, black pepper also has anti inflammatory properties.
Coconut Whipped Cream Topping:
The coconut whipped cream topping tastes great and is simple to prepare and store. However, it is entirely optional and you can leave it off if you prefer.
Here’s how to make it:
- Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to use, open the can (do not shake).
- Scrape off the top thick layer only and add to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix for 3-4 minutes and then enjoy as a topping on your freshly blended golden milk smoothie.
- Store leftover coconut whipped cream in the fridge for up to a week.
When is it best to drink Golden Milkshake?
I enjoy my milkshake either first thing in the morning as a pick me up. However, it also makes a great relaxing and soothing drink just before bedtime.
Recipe hints & tips:
- Adjust the spicing. If there are any spices that you really don’t enjoy eating, then leave the out. However, try and add a little more of the others to compensate.
- Adapt the consistency of your milkshake by adding extra ice for a thicker smoothie or additional almond milk to thin the smoothie out depending on desired consistency.
- Freeze your bananas. We all have times when our bananas become too ripe, so rather than waste them I like to slice them and freeze them into portions. Ready to take out of the freezer and make up into a golden milkshake any time I want.
Don’t miss this other Anti Inflammatory Recipe here at When Is Dinner:
- 1 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 overripe banana frozen and sliced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- A pinch of black pepper
- Ice if desired
- Optional: coconut whipped cream topping
*For optional coconut whipped cream topping, simply place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
When ready to use, open (do not shake) and scrape off the top thick layer only - and add to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
Mix for 3-4 minutes and then enjoy as a topping on your freshly blended golden milk smoothie.
Store leftover coconut whipped cream in the fridge for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 7gSugar: 34gProtein: 7g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing this Anti Inflammatory Golden Milkshake in my own kitchen:
Ninja Professional 72oz Countertop Blender with 1000-Watt Base and Total Crushing Technology for Smoothies, Ice and Frozen Fruit (BL610), BlackOrganic Turmeric Root Powder w/Curcumin | Lab Tested for Purity | 100% Raw from India | 8oz Bag by Feel Good OrganicsAnti-Inflammatory Cookbook: 500 Tasty Recipes to Reduce InflammationThe Anti-Inflammatory Diet Slow Cooker Cookbook: Prep-and-Go Recipes for Long-Term HealingThe Complete Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Beginners: A No-Stress Meal Plan with Easy Recipes to Heal the Immune SystemThe Anti-Inflammatory Diet & Action Plans: 4-Week Meal Plans to Heal the Immune System and Restore Overall HealthAnti-Inflammatory Diet for Beginners: 500 Quick and Easy Beginners Anti-Inflammatory Weight Loss Recipes to Fight Inflammation, Preventing Disease and Stay Healthy
Total Entries: 2705