A Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwich is the perfect games night or Super Bowl snack. The ground beef mixture is flavored with onion soup and cheese, before being loaded into hoagie rolls, topped with even more shredded cheese and baked to molten perfection in a hot oven. Delicious!
Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwich
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love my cheesy ground beef sandwich recipe. It’s always been a hit with my boys and their friends while they are watching the game. However this beef and cheese sandwich also makes an easy lunch or dinner option when you are busy.
This easy cheesy hot beef sandwich takes only 10 minutes to prepare and assemble. Then bake the ground beef sandwich melt in a hot oven until the cheese is gooey and molten.
My cheesy beef sandwich recipe feeds 5, but can be easily doubled up if you are feeding a crowd. Leftover sandwiches (not that I ever seem to have any) can be easily stored in the refrigerator for a quick and easy lunch the next day.
- BEEF: I use 1 ½ pounds of ground beef to make 5 sandwiches.
- FLAVORING: the beef is seasoned with a packet of dry onion soup mix.
- CHEESE: I top the rolls with shredded cheddar jack cheese.
- ROLLS: I like to use hoagie rolls.
How to make Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwiches
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
When the beef is cooked through, add the onion soup mix and water.
Stir to mix.
Simmer until the liquid begins to thicken, then remove the pan from heat.
Stir in half the shredded cheese.
Mix until the cheese is melted.
Place each hoagie roll on its side in a baking dish.
Use a knife to cut a slit in the side of each roll and carefully spoon the beef mixture into each bun, making sure not to cut the bun completely in half.
Top each sandwich with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the rolls are lightly toasted and the cheese on top has melted.
- I’ve used ground beef, but you could make this sandwich using other ground meat like lamb, turkey or chicken.
- You can also swap the ground beef for leftover roast beef, just shred it up, add the soup mix and pile into the roll.
- A packet of dry onion soup mix seasons and flavors the beef. You could also use mushroom soup mix which has a great savory flavor that will work with the beef.
- Use any variety of cheese that melts well to top the sandwiches.
- Add extra veggies to the beef, and saute some onions, garlic, bell peppers or mushrooms along with the ground beef.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce for an extra hit of savory flavor.
- Want some chili heat, then add in a sliced red chili, sliced jalapenos, or some red pepper flakes when cooking the beef.
- Finish the sandwiches with some freshly chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro.
If you need a meal you can leave in the crockpot all day, consider this delicious slow cooker beef stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients and perfect to come home to after a long day.
My cheesy hot beef sandwiches make a great lunch or dinner options. For dinner I like to add a few sides like my Homemade French Fries, Philly Cheesesteak Potato Skins, or with a salad, try my Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad. These cheesy beef sandwiches also make a great games day or Super Bowl snack.
Recipe hints & tips
- When cooking the beef drain off any excess grease if there’s too much fat. This will stop the mixture being too wet and making the rolls soggy.
- You want the beef to be cooked through and no longer pink. But don’t overcook the ground beef or the sandwich will be dry.
- This recipe is easily doubled of tripled if you are feeding a crowd on games night.
I’ve used shredded cheddar jack cheese, but you could use sharp cheddar, gouda, mozzarella Swiss cheese, or pepper jack cheese. You can also try a combination of your favorite cheeses.
I don’t recommend assembling the entire dish as the hoagie rolls will become soggy if left to sit with the filling. However, you can make up the ground beef filling in advance and store that in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble and cook the sandwiches.
These sandwiches are best served hot straight from the oven. However, once cooled, leftover sandwiches can be stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for 3-4 days. When ready to enjoy place back into a hot oven to warm through.
Try some of my favorite sandwich recipes here at When is Dinner
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Creamy Ranch Beef Macaroni Skillet
- Easy Beef Cannelloni
- Lasagne Soup
- Best Easy Meatloaf
- Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 5 hoagie rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
- When the beef is cooked through, add the onion soup mix and water. Stir to mix.
- Simmer until the liquid begins to thicken, then remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in half the shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted.
- Place each hoagie roll on its side in a baking dish.
- Use a knife to cut a slit in the side of each roll and carefully spoon the beef mixture into each bun, making sure not to cut the bun completely in half.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the rolls are lightly toasted and the cheese on top has melted.
- When cooking the beef drain off any excess grease if there's too much fat. This will stop the mixture being too wet and making the rolls soggy.
- You want the beef to be cooked through and no longer pink. But don't overcook the ground beef or the sandwich will be dry.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 1300mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 53g
Nutritional information is approximate and for guidance only.